Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Christmas Card Guilt

I tried to justify that I was "going green" by not sending out Christmas Cards this year. So considerate of me to be so environmentally concerned:) right? Honestly, it was one of those things on my To DO List that I just didn't get to. Plus each time I thought about the cost of stamps it only validated my decision of going green, with an added bonus to my pocketbook. However every time I look at our kitchen door adorned with all the beautiful cards from friends and family I have a little guilt. The sign which hangs above our door is so true "We give Thanks for Friends and Family". Sorry guys about the cards- this blog will have to do. Honestly, a warm felt thank you to everyone that personal thought of us and sent a Christmas Card. Each card truly brighten my day and it was fun to read about all the updates in your life.
2009, is off to a good start and could not be better for if you ask Maggie, who won the honors of being the 1st to get her fingers on the gingerbread house. Growing up my mom always made a gingerbread house and on New Years Days we got to take it apart. So I do the same with my kids. Three years ago we added the fun tradition of playing a mean game of Candy Lane - the winner gets the honors of removing the 1st piece of candy.

We have had fun ringing in the new year spending lots of time with friends and family (sad to see the Petersons return to Panama). My kids loved hanging out with cousins, skating, sledding, and of course playing with all the Christmas Toys.


Saturday we went sledding in our friends backyard, which so happened to be the very hill that Kent use to go sledding on when he was a kids. It use to be all pasture back then - good thing we know who built on his cherished sledding hill:) We had a blast.

16 comments:

Carrie said...

I still love you Diana. You can make it up and put up with us when we come and visit you this summer. Miss you tons.

Anonymous said...

Hey sis it was a great Christmas and New Year this year with the cousins together. I wish that Jenn and her boys could have been with us. Skyler is looking forward to this July. I hope that Jenn and the boys can come too. I'm glad that you and your sweet family are close and that we don't have to wait for summer. Let me know if you would like to bring the Family up for an ice skating night. Hot chocolate, dinner and fun are all on me. Day time is warmer but I promise you that its more magical under the stars. see you soon.

Becky A said...

Ah, the holidays! Such fun for all. You guys are Classic Skating Junkies! And sledding looks like so much fun. :)

Angela said...

I feel the same guilt. I didn't do cards this year. Either I'm in the mood or not. I especially like to see pics of our friends kids so we like to do the same for them, maybe next year, I won't know until it comes. :) But it doesn't mean we don't care and I hope we are not dropped from their list. Hudson and Parks wanted to eat their Gingerbread houses from school but they were so old and hard. LOL

Jenny Kapp said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun! Sledding is the best!

Melissa Cheney said...

It really was a fun sledding day...right up til Kent had the "rock incident"! Seriously, I'm so glad you guys came over--it was such fun! And I'm still up for our belated Christmas movie fest--let's do it!

Rebecca said...

No more christmas cars fo' you!! But I might be willing to let you make it up to me:)
Looks like you guys are enjoying the snow! Great pictures!

Rebecca said...

That should say:
NO MORE "CARDS"...
not cars. I am not willing to part with any vehicles:)

Diana said...

Carrie- thanks for still loving me
Rebecca- can I apply that icecream coupon from 14 years ago towards the MIA christmas card?
Sis -ice skating sounds great, lets plan a date.
Becky - junkies only on $1 night, sad but true we showed up on Wednesday and walked out when we realized normal rates are $7/person.
MC - I'm still up for the movie!

Anonymous said...

Hi there, Diana
My goodness...what a difference several years make! I think the last time we saw you and Kent was when we still lived in Englewood CO...you were newly married. What a beautiful family you have...and what a great example you set and high spirited you are...I love you all and so enjoyed getting to know you as a young girl...and now to see you Kent, and your children. I am so blessed ....so very glad to read your blog...and see all the pictures. Lucky guys...having all the red heads! Our boys have highlights in their sideburns and beards...perhaps their offspring will have red hair...that would be cool. Your mom and dad look fantastic...I'm thankful too for the time we had visiting and traveling together over the early years! Our oldest Ezra (known as Jeff until senior yr in high school) is engaged to Aimee and will wed on June 27th 2009 in Winter Park. We are very excited. Aimee works in the Denver Admin working on the curriculm as of this year...but the previous 8yrs she taught 5th grade. We are absolutely thrilled.
They have a website aimeeandezra.com With Ezra's help we now have a blog...you may have recd from your mom ... dawnandrusty.blogspot.com I'm staying tuned ...fun seeing what you do and Diana I am so very proud of you and love you being a genuine uplifting spirit. We love being foster parents to 4 very precious kids...two sibling groups..check out pics on our blog.
okay...enough of my rambling. Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Donna-
W O W ! What a gift you gave us with the viewing of the Blogs for David and Kira, and Kent and Diana. Oh, what beautiful families...and to get to see you and Dave and Tammy,Heather and Jennifer and David A. and their families... It is the best gift..blessing I received this Year. thank you thank you thank you! You and Dave look soooooooooo good. You don't seem to age...you look fantastic.I read the entire blogs ..(I finished about 2:30am..I was up with my little guy Skyler 2yr he was so hot 101.8...red as a lobster..oh boy..got him into doc today...virus..he is much better tonight Thanking God).Anyhow...your children and their families.what a blessing...what a testimony to the parenting/love, and the gift of knowing and living for Jesus Christ...you gave your family. I just loved everything. Loved your Angel tea party tradition with the grand-daughters...so beautiful. Diana is so funny....so spiritually uplifting...who would of thought????? ahahahha I love them all. Every time I looked at a picture of McKenna I felt like I was looking at Heather all over again. And, Whoa...are we jealous or what of all that RED Hair...we got gipped! Congradulations, on your growing family. stay in touch...lots of love,Dawn

Diana said...

Dawn - so glad you stopped by - what a fun surprise from the past:)

Aleesha said...

No worries Diana. I've only sent out one Christmas card our whole married life. Every year I have really good intentions, but it never seems to happen. Maybe it's because I never have an updated picture of my family.

Amy said...

When is $1 night at classic skate?!!!
No worries about the Christmas card. I never send them to anyone that lives right around me. Is that the way it should be? I mail to family and friends who live far away. samsclub- online Rob picked them up. it took ten minutes of my time- seriously.

GINGER said...

I am so with you on this one. Every year I have the best intentions of sending out Christmas cards, but it never quite works. I did manage to send out a few to immediate family that live far away, but... I always end up feeling guiltier and guiltier with every card I receive. Maybe next year I will do better. Do you think it is too soon to start working on them now?

kim said...

Hey Diana! Love your blog. I am so glad to have found you. I love the facebook thing. Your family is gorgeous. I did not realize your mom had red hair and now your girls do too. Has your mom always had red hair? We are good. Jon lost his job right before our 3rd baby came so life has been harder ever since. He works 3 jobs, and i never see him, which sounds like you can relate. Logan is 4 1/2 and is such a good little boy. Kylie is 2 1/2 and let's just say Jon calls her "little debie". She is my little spitfire. Parker is 5 1/2 months and is such a good baby. So life is good. Jon is trying to be a firefighter, but we will see as there is A LOT of competition. Well check out my blog and we will have to send eachother our emails through facebook.
Love-Kim www.kimjonluck.blogspot.com