Friday, October 9, 2009

To Everything There is a Season

Another soccer season has come and gone... this year both McKenna and McKay decided to play, leaving Kent in a bit of a predicament: which team to coach? Kenna was the lucky one this time. October 1st was Kenna's last game, which happened to be FREEZING so I brought homemade cookies and Hot Chocolate to munch on while Coach handed out their medals. (Sad but true story, when I pulled out all the ingredients and mixer, Maggie asked if we borrowed it from Aunt Joni. Guess I need to bake more often.)
Monson wants to do everything his big brother and sisters are doing. He loved going to the games, but sitting on the sidelines was no fun. He wanted to be in on all the action or playing at the park. Both kids enjoyed being goalie - not sure which they like more - the position or access to a make shift jungle gym? I for one, would never make a good goalie, not sure I could over come the natural instinct to move out of the way of incoming objects, especially ones that are coming fast and hard. I'd rather sacrifice the goal than my body. Thank goodness my kids are tougher than me. I love how aggressive they are on the field.
Next Season... Jr Jazz! I was shocked when Maggie told me she wanted to play. I verified with her that Jr Jazz meant Basketball and not a Jazz Dance class. She knew what she was talking about and can not wait to shoot some hoops. While McKenna and McKay were playing soccer, Maggie was accomplishing her own milestones... No more training wheels!!!

The day she asked Kent to take off her training wheels she was determined to learn to ride with out any help and SHE DID. Not once did I get to run beside her and steady the bike. She did it all on her own. Oh course I was super proud, but a little sad she didn't need my help. So I did the next best thing, set up a chair on the drive way and offered words of encouragement. I even sent home a neighbor kid who wasn't speaking to positive in regards to Maggie's riding ability. I tell you, once in a while my "Mommy Bear Protective Syndrome" kicks in and nobody talks mean about my baby. Way to Go Maggie!!!

I've been a little busy accomplishing some milestones of my own. This week I'm proud to say I made Salsa and Bottled Grape Juice for the 1st time all my myself. I've always done it with my mom, however between her trip to DC for my nephew's Eagle Court of Honor and her trip to Panama for my niece's baptism time did not permit. So she kindly let me pick all her grapes, loaned me her steamer and I went to town. I loved how it made the house smell. I felt so productive and domesticated. The kids were fascinated with the process...


Last month Joni (my sister-in-law) and I canned Spaghetti sauce, my mom and I did stewed tomatoes, I sliced and froze all my peaches and did countless batches of peach and apricot leather. It is always funnier to can with someone. It makes the time go by so much faster. Canning is time consuming, but worth it when you do not have to buy the produce. Our fruit trees this year produced a lot and thanks to generous family and friends who shared their bounty with us, I had plenty to keep me busy. McKay keeps me on my toes. He loves to can and has always been my best applesauce and fruit leather helper. Ever since he was little, he's the one asking to do apricot leather and applesauce. Half the time, it is the last thing I really want to do or have time to do, but his eagerness reminds me that just like fruit, kids don't keep. To everything there is a Season... Fruit is no respector of time or busy schedules either you do it when it's ready or you deal with a spoiled mess. Hopefully canning with the kids helps to perserve their childhood just a little bit longer. On Wednesday, McKay made my day when he invited a friend home from school and asked if they could make applesauce, it definately was not on the agenda but we did it. (Normally his request is to play Game Cube so I was thrilled with the alternative activity) Thanks McKay, McKenna, Maggie and Monson for all you do, I love you.

11 comments:

Erin H said...

The canning is impressive - I too hope to get a bunch of grape juice done before it is too late.

Anonymous said...

You better watch out. You might get a bosch for Christmas and have to start making bread. You are becoming so domesticated. Wish I could be there. I'm jealous of all your canning. TAmmy

Jcsamgwallace said...

Diana, have I told you lately that I love you? Well I do!!!

Chris

Susan said...

Wow. That's all I have to say about all your food canning. I'm envious. All I got to do was white grape juice. Your are Super Mom!

Heidi said...

Yea for canning! I miss that from last summer; it really does make the house feel more homey and comforting. Way to go! You did so much and its very impressive! :) Congrats on soccer, the family fun and your goals. Love ya!

Diana said...

No Bosch or kitchen aid this Christmas - Kent, says there is no way he is spending good money on a gift that will only sit in the cupboard and not get used. Let's just say I 1st have to prove myself worthy and I'll admit I'm not much of a baker.

Jenny Kapp said...

Looks like the soccor, bike riding and canning were all a great success! Next year why don't you do all the canning at my house so it can smell so wonderful all of the time!!

Anonymous said...

wow the grape juice looks great, I must admit your kitchen looks a lot cleaner and more organized than mine does when I am canning. McKenna, MeMe is sorry she missed all of your soccer games this year, I will have to do better next year. I loved your pictures I can't believe how big you have gotten. McKay what an awesome son and grandson you are. Will you please bring MeMe over one of your yummy bottles of Applesauce. Maggie I am so proud of you and the way that you learned to ride your two wheeler. You will have to put on a show for MeMe when she returns from Panama. I will miss all of you and especially my special hugs from Monson.
Love,
Mom

Aleesha said...

That's pretty impressive. You need to teach me sometime how to do stuff like that. I've always wanted to can, but don't even know where to start.

Kent is such a good dad to coach your kids soccer games. Coach's are far and few between. What a good man he is.

Diana said...

Aleesha - I'll be doing apples this week come on over.

Ben & Mona said...

I'm so impressed Diana. I've only ever done jam. It looks like you've been busy. I can't wait to try some of that grape juice next time we're in Utah! Loves!