Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Hindsight is 20/20

Today I finally got the WOW affect I've been waiting for- since my eye surgery in July. After my 1st initial and very discouraging checkups, life got busy, I could tell my eyes were improving slowly but surely and neglected to schedule my follow ups. Today I went in for my long overdue appointment, sat down in the chair, looked at the chart and told the Doc I was feeling lucky. I read the very bottom line... that's right 20/15, you better believe I shouted out a BIG WAAWHOO! Oh Happy Days!
Since hindsight is 20/20, here are a few things I learned...
Research things for yourself, be confident in your choice, so you don't second guess your decision. (I went with PRK where they dissolve the top layer of your eye with a alcohol solution rather than Lasik where they cut a flap in your eye, both use the same Laser to correct your vision, PRK has a much longer recovery period. If I had it to do all over again, I would do Lasik for the immediate Wow affect. I really got discouraged with the healing process, even though I'd been warned, your vision totally effects your attitude.) I was schooled in the art of patience and failed miserably. Gained more sympathy for those who are struggling with long turn illnesses-keeping a positive attitude is easier said than done. However, today I was beautifully reminded as to why Heavenly Father puts trials and adversity in our life's, it draws us to our knees in sincere prayer, pleading for his help. Those 1st few days and weeks after the surgery I prayed to him continuously, pleading for a full recovery. This morning as I drove away thrilled with my results I called Kent to celebrate and share the good news. So grateful, my thoughts turned heavenward sending up a silent Thank you, then realized it had been a long time since my vision was even a matter of prayer. So quickly, the one thing that had occupied so much of my thoughts and prayers day by day had improved and sadly I started to take it for granted. I am so thankful for my restored vision. Corrective eye surgery was always a dream, thanks to two awesome men it became a reality. I owe a big thank you to my amazing Brother in law, Curtis at Standard Optical who shared his sweet Friends and Family Deal with me and to Kent for being my Sugar Daddy and footing the bill. I can see clearly now and the rain is still here! [For those not in Utah, it's been down pouring all day, overnite it dropped 40 degrees, from a nice sunny 85 degrees yesterday to 48 today, there's even snow on the benches - I'm ready for Fall but not winter.]

10 comments:

Jenny Kapp said...

You are cute my friend. I am glad that you can see once again!

Diana said...

To my proof reading brother or any other kind soul - I always get confused, would it be wow affect or effect? Is there another spelling for "granite" isn't that the rock? I am the worst with these kinds of things. Oh well, at least my thoughts were captured.

Susan said...

Your faith is inspiring! So happy your eyes are adjusting well. When are getting together?

The Steffensen's said...

It's for "granted" but I am just as confused as you on the whole effect/affect so I would have never noticed.

I'm trying REALLY hard not to be jealous. My eyesight has been a huge struggle for me and I hope that Lasik (NOT PRK!) will even help my terrible eyes. People always think I'm purposefully ignoring them and I just want to say "It's not you! It's my blindness!"

Thanks for coming over tonight and for the yummy dinner. So very kind.

Collings Family said...

I haven't stopped thinking about your remarks about a positive attitude since you visited me a few weeks ago. It really is so difficult to smile through physical discomfort! I think you did a great job of doing that, but so glad that you're doing better!

Anonymous said...

Glad you can finally see!! I miss you but glad I'm in warm and rainy Panama and not cold and rainy Ut.

Angela said...

That is soo funny that you are talking about the word "granted" cause Larry always teases me since I wrote "granite" one time. And i totally pointed it out to him on your blog and then i see you are discussing it in your comments. ha ha I too totally get confused with stuff like that...sometimes I say "verily" instead of "barely" Maybe it's from reading my scriptures too much (NOT). :)
Larry wants eye surgery too..but we just can't afford it now...the dissolving of the eye sounds gruesome and not quite right. I had Radialkeratotomy (cutting with a diamond) 12 years ago and they are going bad again! I think i can still get Lasik done tho. Eyes are a scary thing to mess with but sooo wonderful to not have to wear contacts or glasses!

Kathy said...

Yea!! I'm glad you got the wow effect!

Aleesha said...

I'm so glad that you can see now.

Elder and Sister Hyer said...

Gosh, I wish that I had known you had gone through this. I just had my PRK surgery on Oct 1 and now that I am two weeks in I am going crazy. I've been back to work for a week but It is getting real old having my face 4 inches away from my computer monitors.

I didn't have the choice of Lasik because my corneas were too thin. I can say that I can see better than I ever remember seeing without glasses or contacts but I can't see clear. Reading your blog gives me hope that in a month or so I'll get there.