Friday, June 27, 2008

Halo Hangover

My wild and crazy boys came strolling in at 2:30 in the morning from a long night of playing Halo. Need I say more - McKay is suffering from a major Halo Hangover. While McKay was having the time of his life playing X-Box into all crazy hours of the night with his Daddy and Uncle - a sweet girl like me can only handle so much of the shoot 'em up -bang. Rather then rain on their parade, I decided to come home and finally post a few pics from our trip back to D.C. for Kent's Graduation. For the past 10 months Kent has been heavily involved in the Executive Leadership Development Program - Supporting the War Fighter. Throughout his travel assignments he truly associating with America's Best as he cross trained with all branches of the Military. True Heroism is not found in a video game but in the men and women of our Armed Forces, they are the real live American Heroes...

We had a wonderful time!!! I loved visiting my sister in Virginia and seeing her family. Monson was totally spoiled by her boys. We went on an all day Canoe ride (I discovered that rowing was more complex and labor intensive than I ever imagined). Enjoyed playing poker with my nephews (defending my title as Best Aunt Ever). Went sight seeing around Fredericksburg and saw many of the Revolutionary and Civil War sites. Enjoyed a beautiful evening at the DC Temple, took in all the big monuments and landmarks of DC. Attended a Briefing at the Pentagon by Kent's class to the Deputy Secretary of Defense in regards to what they had accomplished during their ELDP training. To say the least, I was in Awe. I wish they would of had a spouse orientation at the very beginning of all his extensive traveling so that I could of better supported and explained to others what he was endeavoring. I am way proud of Kent and all that he accomplished and am very happy to have him back home again.
It was a long haul but we made it. A major goal of the ELDP program was to better understand and support the war fighter. We had a small glimpse into some of the sacrifices our military soldiers make when Kent was out of town for Monson's birth. However, everything happens for a reason. I strongly feel that this experience helped us better appreciate all the sacrifices that many of our military soldiers make on behalf of our country. Our Freedom is not free. Men and Women are paying for it everyday of their lives. God Bless America.

Monson and Uncle Joe


2 comments:

Erin said...

How cool! Congrats to Kent. It sound like quite an accomplishment. Poker and a temple session. Glad to see you are well rounded. hee hee

Looks like a fun trip. My brother-in-law is in the Army and did 1 1/2 years in Iraq and my nephew just entered the Air Force Academy. We are also very appreciate of our military and the sacrafices they AND their families make.

Nicole said...

That is really awesome. Tell Kent congrats from us. That sounds like something Ben would be interested in.