Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Let Me Hold You Longer

Just up feeding Monson and decided to take advantage of the quiet time and post what's been on my mind ...This is my all time favorite children's books. Kent and the kids gave it to me for Christmas 2005. Lucky for me, it is also McKay's favorite book so the story is ingrained in my memory. I never thought a picture book could have such an impact. But this one has... each time I am reminded to enjoy the simple things because you never know when it will be their last. Children grow so fast. We spend a lifetime of celebrating their first. First step, first tooth, 1st day of kindergarten... somehow along the way we miss their last. Typically there are no pictures or parties when a child takes his last nap or catches a ladybug for the last time. For the most part, it's impossible to know when a last-moment will actually occur. Nothing signals a mom to stop and notice the last time her little boy runs and jumps into her arms. If so would we of held on longer? McKay just finished up his Kindergarten year and since his Hawaii Program the words to this page have been racing through my mind:
"Your last few hours of kindergarten, those last days of first grade. Your last bat in Little League, last colored picture made. I never said good-bye to all your yesterdays long passed. So what about tomorrow will I recognize your lasts?"

Here's to you my sweet McKay, no longer my little kindergartner. Next year I will miss our afternoons together. Please don't out grow jumping out the the car and flashing the I love you sign before running into school. I never want to recognize that last.
This past week you finished up your last season of T-Ball... you are so excited for Coach Pitch. Already the hands of time are ticking to fast.



As for my little McKenna, now a big 3rd grader. Here's to you and all the fun of field day, friends and late overs. I love our tradition of going summer clothes shopping on the last day of school - Here's hoping it wasn't our last.

Life is crazy busy, I know. But here's hoping we all take a little more time to recognize the last in our children's life. The opening page reads: Long ago you came to me, a miracle of first: First smiles and teeth and baby steps, a sunbeam on the burst. But one day you will move away and leave to me your past, And I will be left thinking of a lifetime of your lasts...


9 comments:

Haley said...

This post brought a tear to my eye! I think I might have to go out and buy that book now! How sweet.

Sarah B said...

Okay, I'm seriously crying. Having 2 very small children is hard...but I am positive I will ache for these days someday in the future. Thanks for your sweet message of enjoying every stage.

Kathy said...

I love that you are always so poetic. You always make me stop and think about things and love you for that...

Amy said...

That was fabulous! I need to get that book! I can relate with all of your feelings - to a T- since our kids are exactly that same age. I was so sad that Halle is finished with kindergarten- I remember crying when I dropped Jax of for first grade- I didn't with kindergarten- there is just something about them eating lunch at the school-- I am getting choked up. Maybe I will go look at their sweet sleeping faces.

Anonymous said...

Hey, you made me cry. Ainsley only has three days left of kinder. I will truly miss my baby next year when I am home all by myself. Then there is my Jacob just turned 12. No longer a kid, just a pre-teen. It truly is scary to think how fast life goes. I love you Diana.

Anonymous said...

Hi Di- This made me cry. Cherish those lasts. They grow up way to fast. I can't believe Dev's last day as a freshmen is just around the corner. Before I know it he will be a senior and then he will be gone. Enjoy the moments.

Shauna said...

Diana,
Remember you Kaysville Drugstore Days? I just found your blog from Heidi's. What a cute blog. I love reading it! You make me feel so normal. You have the cutest family. You'll have to check mine out.
Shauna

Becky A said...

I can't even comment. the subject of my children growing up is toooooo sensitive to me! :(

Angie said...

Haven't heard from you in awhile. Guess thats what happens when preschool is out. Loved this post. I can't think about the lasts of anything so I pretend like there's never going to be a last. Cute family as always Diana.