Monday, November 8, 2010

Tender Times

"Each Day is a new day, especially in a Child's life. Although the monumental events are unforgettable, some of the simplest are the ones we remember the most; the ones that make us smile!!"
I found the above quote, of all places, on a simple statue from Dollar Tree. Thanks to McKenna's tender and thoughtful heart [sisters are the best], she saw a little figurine of a child holding a caterpillar and knew it was the perfect gift to help cheer Maggie up. Saturday, Maggie finally decided to part with Emily, her Caterpillar friend. (Side note, I didn't even know Mags still had the caterpillar.) A few weeks ago she found a cute little fuzzy caterpillar, named her Emily and brought her come. According to Maggie they were Best Friends. One morning, Emily wasn't moving, the rest of us knew what that meant, but Maggie was convinced she was just sleeping. At the moment I was not ready to deal with any drama so I just let her think what she wanted. To be honest, I had totally forgotten about Emily, until Saturday when Maggie walks into the kitchen cradling in her hand what looked like a dried up booger. When I saw her sweet little somber face, I knew something was up, but it wasn't until she said "Mom, I am ready to bury Emily now" that it all registered. So out to the flowerbed we went and had a moment of silence for Emily. Maggie came in and drew the cutest little picture of the two of them together.

8 comments:

The Steffensen's said...

What an imagination, Mags. I love the note-"Emili was my best friend". So cute.

Diana said...

Translation on Maggies sweet note: read"Emlie was my best friend. I was very sad when she died. I buried her under a flower pedal."

Krista said...

That is about the sweetest thing I have ever read. That little Maggie of yours has such a sweet heart :)RIP Emilie.

Susan said...

What a sweetie, Maggie and Kenna for getting that little statue for her, how thoughtful

Jenny Kapp said...

So sweet! Love that girl!

Aleesha said...

That just about broke my heart! RIP Emlie.

Melissa Cheney said...

We learn best through the eyes of a child. Thanks for such an awesome post, Diana. And thanks, Maggie, for being such a good and loving friend!!

Heidi said...

Ohhh. That is so sweet! It tugs at my heart, thanks for sharing. Hugs to all of you!