Friday, February 4, 2011

Wrinkles:

the thin, creased, and sagging skin that is especially noticeable on the face, neck, and hands.

Yesterday was the 100th day of school!!! I was volunteering in Maggie's class, doing the Baggy Books when they were given a fun art assignment to draw a self portrait of how they would look at the age of 100. I loved listening to all the giggles and talk of wrinkles. I am so glad I was there... I was reminded of the cutest story of McKay, which I had long forgotten. When McKay was given this same assignment in 1st grade, his teacher got a serious laugh out of McKay's creative ability. He was given a sheet of paper and began to draw his picture. All of a sudden he crumpled the paper into a ball. Mrs. Quarnberg thinking he had messed up asked if he needed a new sheet of paper. McKay simply answered "No, I'm giving myself wrinkles." 1st graders are brilliant.

I often say that I am going to grow old gracefully... yet lately it seems like it is happening faster than it should. I already have wrinkles around my eyes and smile. If I follow my mom's side of the family I will have a ton of wrinkles. So I better learn to love them on me and remember it's the twinkle in the Wrinkle that's important. I loved holding my Grandma Silotti's soft hands, pulling up her skin, letting go and seeing how long it would stay up. All my Grandma's allowed themselves to look like Grandmas and I loved it. When grace is joined with wrinkles, it is adorable. Age should not have its face lifted, but it should rather teach the world to admire wrinkles as the etchings of experience and the firm line of character. -Clarence Day

5 comments:

Tammy said...

What a cute picture. I love it. I hope when I am old I will still be able to play hopscotch. Talking about getting old you should see all my grey. I look at my hands and see how they are starting to get the wrinkles and I also have them around my eyes. I think to myself, I am only 37. I know mom didn't look this way at 37. She was beautiful at 37.

The Steffensen's said...

I have always said to Dave there is a trade off. The Steffensen's have that beautiful black hair but then the grey is so noticable! My random colored hair will probably never grey, it will just blend in. Of course my dad's black hair did not grey until recently, and he is still not completely grey. Plus he still has a full head of hair and so does your dad so my kids should be lucky in the not going bald department:)

Susan said...

thanks, i needed that! i'm seeing a lot more wrinkles these days along with bags under my eyes. but growing old is better than the alternative,

The Ray Reader said...

I loved this. So true. Jason will be 40 this year and I always say age is all in your head, you can stay young at heart.
Lets get together soon.

Angie said...

I saw your note in Brooks' planner. The moms helping with the Valentines party volunteered months ago but Kristi Kunz had to buy ALOT of stuff for the treat leis she's having the kids make, so if you want to help by giving her a little cash for those, that'd be wonderful! Thanks Diana!
Sorry to use your blog for your message. I can't find your email address.