[scroll down for slideshow]
Tonight I drove up Ogden Canyon to pick Kent up from an incredible week at Aaron's camp, it was my 1st time being back on that road since the Marathon. The beautiful drive brought back some good memories for me and some major body aches for Kent, especially as we drove past and cheered on countless Ragnar Runners. Ragnar weekend, brings so many emotions...
excitement for all my crazy friends who are out running the 200(ish) miles right now through the middle of the night, have been running all day and will continue into the late afternoon, relay-style, through the very scenic terrain of Logan to Park City......
bitter sweet memories of Kent running in it last year and our
final good byes to Travis...
Sadness that there are no more memories to be made with our amazing friend yet
happiness of knowing without a doubt where he is...
celebration of his life and for his
incredible family not only surviving but living life! This weekend encompasses so much... the one year mark, Travis's birthday and Father Days. So in honor of Coach T Poll... here is the overdue Ogden Marathon Post... truly he is the only reason why we were even crazy enough to do it. In Kent's exact words, "My one and only marathon for T" but we shall see,
Mandy is a great motivator. Of course she is on the ball and already
posted about the marathon. So has my totally inspiring and awesome running partner,
Aleesha who just happens to be my dear friend and Travis's little sister. They both have a gift with words, so check out their blogs for some good humor, triumphed victories, battle wounds and endless inspiration. I just reread both post and again tears came to my eyes. This was a remarkable journey to embark on with so many dear friends. So without further adieu...
May 21st has come and gone. A day greatly anticipated, endless hours spent training and preparing for, some days dreaded, discouragement over injuries, other days filled with eagerness to do a long run with my partner. Regardless the ups and downs the big day came, we endured, survived, dare say I even enjoyed it. May 21st will forever be etched in my memory. I did what I never imagine possible! We did it together and realized we really can do hard things. Kent completed the full marathon-26.2 miles in 3 hours and 44 minutes. I ran the FULL half marathon, 13.1 miles in 2 hours and 35mi. Right now I am on the mend, but I really think I'd like to try it again and break that 2 1/2 mark. I think I had a little bit more to offer, but didn't know how my leg would hold up. Don't get me wrong I was exhausted and did my very best but there is something already stirring. Yet, even after completing a 1/2 marathon, I do not proclaim to be a runner. It is HARD stuff, it hurts and does not come easy for me yet it is so rewarding. Running in general can be a perfect metaphor for life, you get out of it what you put into it. The following quotes have become some of my favorites:
"It was b

eing a runner that mattered, not how fast or how far I could run. The joy was in the act of running and in the journey, not in the destination. We have a better chance of seeing where we are when we stop trying to get somewhere else. We can enjoy every moment of movement, as long as where we are is as good as where we'd like to be. That's not to say that you need to be satisfied forever with where you are today. But you need to honor what you've accomplished, rather than thinking of what's left to be done."
"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."
When I reflect on the big race day, My DAD is one of my happiest memories. The entire run was absolutely gorgeous, running around Pineview, through Ogden Canyon and along the river parkway. The beautiful scenery totally helped to take my mind off the challenge and pain, then instantly the picturesque view was gone, in absolute exhaustion I turned onto Grant Street and had to battle the forever long final mile strecth to the finish line. This is where I needed encouragement the most. [Susie, you were in the perfect spot] The original plan was to have my parents and kids at the fin

ish line, however the night before I changed my mind thinking it would be to hectic. My heart was sad, thinking my family now wouldn't be there. It was my decision and I knew my mom would honor my wishes, stay at home with the kids and eagerly wait to hear. However I was secretly hoping my Dad would still come and be in the stands to cheer me on and HE DID!!! How he knew at just the right moment to stand up and start clapping I will never know or how he picked me out of the crowd of runners? Just hearing his voice and seeing his face was exactly what I needed. Honestly, only seconds before, half heartedly, not wanting to get my hopes up, my eyes scanned the 1st set of bleachers and there he was - my DAD. I was reminded of High school when he would come to my swim meets. As I swam I couldn't see him, but I could always hear him, I knew he was there. His booming voice makes for the best fan ever!! Thanks Dad! As I write this I am mindful of the Gavin, Cooper, Skyla and Reese and know there will be many hard times of not having their Dad physically present to cheer them on. Yet just as I couldn't see my dad when I was swimming, I knew he was there and could hear him. I know T and our Heavenly Father will always be cheering you on. Just as he did so many at the race.
I owe a huge thank you to all those who came and supported, my running partner Aleesha and the Main Motivator behind it all Mandy. These are two of the most incredible women I know. Thanks for all the support, laughs, tears and triumphs. As I reflect on our adventure and accomplishment my fondest memories are of all the prep work leading up to it. All the 'anticipation' chats over lunch, or at clogging, countless texts and our training runs. Thank you Aleesha for being my partner. I honestly don't think I could of done it with out you. I am a social runner and you made each run interesting and entertaining. I loved our weekly therapy sessions, sharing the best and worst things that happened to us that week and especially all the 'good/positive' gossip we brought to the payment. Thanks for not only being my running buddy, but my temple and shopping bu

ddy as well. I'm still smiling about your alarm not going off that early morning we decided to go to the temple, you honestly just rolling out of bed, yet still looking as beautiful as ever, hearing and being reminded of all our wonderful temple blessings and promises is just what we both needed; our snow storm run; the cop pulling over in the pouring down rain and offering us a ride; the semi truck honking and scaring us half to death; all the dressing room giggles as we tried on and modeled our matching outfits; overcoming and celebrating all the baby steps along the way- especially miles 6, 8 then the dreaded 10 miles. We were in this together through the thick and thin. I just wish we could of crossed the finish line together. I was so torn when I went on a head, knowing I was leaving you in absolute pain, you are a trooper. But knowing the Coach Poll side of T, is what pushed me forward..I knew his philosophy on game day 'you give it your all and do your best'. My heart ached, but everything happens for a reason and I am thankful that during that solo time you were able to experience such tender mercies. Thank you for your example and strength.
I think it is pretty cool to be married to a Marathoner! Kent is amazing!!! This random picture captures it all: The T, the watch showing his race time, the purple ribbon and his wedding ring.

Three of the many things I love and admire about Kent. 1- he is a faithful friend 2-his dedication, determination and desire to set and achieve goals [he beat his ideal time by 1 second] 3- he is a family man and puts his family first. A few days before the race, as a family we drove the route, about half way through I made the comment that we should of brought something to tie up. The kids instantly started searching in the van for anything they could find. McKenna found one of Maggies purple hair ribbons and was determined to tie it at mile maker 20, which was mile 7 for me. I welcomed the distraction of looking for it, strange how a little ribbon when you know it was tied with loving hands can bring such satisfaction and motivation. I ran over and kissed it, leaving the purple courage for Kent to rediscover. He took the time to untie and held it in his hand the remaining 16.2 miles, because he knew it would mean the world to McKenna. That purple ribbon is hanging right beside our Finisher Medals. Watching Kent cross the finish line was Incredible, waiting for Kent was agony. I knew his ideal time and got concerned when I saw the 3.45 pacer come running through with the balloon. I had to keep reminding myself that I only knew 'gun time' and not Kent's actually start time. The next five minutes seemed like forever as I scanned the face of each runner looking for Kent. It didn't help that I thought he was wearing orange and got my hopes up with each orange shirt I saw in the distance and nearly almost missed him when he came running by in a blue shirt [mental note for next time - Know what color Kent is wearing] My hands were shaking and my heart was pounding when I finally saw him. He was spent, I could tell he had given his all, he was completely drained, he finished the race and I was so proud!!! We embraced, and he just started to cry all the thoughts of Travis were just to close to the surface. He misses his best buddy horribly and just wished he had ran his 1st marathon with Travis years ago when they 1st started talking about it. This ones for you T - Happy Birthday!
;">"
The miracle isn't that we finished.
The miracle is that we
had the courage to start."
3 comments:
Well that was just awesome. I know T appreciates you posting this. :) You & Kent are such amazing people and amazing friends! I'm a lucky gal1
Glad to finally read your post. I now can believe you really did run 13 miles. Way to go little sis. I'm proud of you.
You are amazing! I have been anxiously awaiting your post about your marathon and was so thrilled you and Kent did it. What an amazing thing to have accomplished! Congratulations!
Post a Comment