Maggie came home from kindergarten last week with a "FREE" kids ticket to the circus. [Let's just say I dread when the kid
s get "free or reduced tickets" sent home in their back packs and the 1st words out of their mouth when I pick them up are "Can we go?". To them, they have a ticket in hand, whats the problem? They really, really want to go, yet have no idea that it would still cost a small fortune to take the entire family.] I smiled and with no intentions of going said something like "That's nice Honey!" - just waiting for her to look the other way so I could carefully dispose of the visual reminder. Well her excitement and anticipation quickly won me over and we spent Friday Night at the Circus. I am so glad we did, just hearing Monson chant "Dumbo, Dumbo, Dumbo..." on the drive over was PRIC
ELESS! Monson, loves the movie Dumbo, so you can only imagine how thrilled he was to see a real live elephant up close. We arrived early with plenty of time to do some of the preshow activities. Top on my list was the Elephant Rides, until I about choked when I walked up to the ticket booth and realized it was $8 per person. (One disadvantage/blessing to having multiple kids is everything is multiplied by 4 and that night my nephew was with us, bringing it to 5x the going rate and there was no way I was paying $40 bucks for the elephants nor $30 for the Pony rides - much to Maggie's dismay.) Let's just say the kids had a lesson in Provident Living. Now, I know the circus is a business, but come on things were way over priced...ie $7 for a bag of peanuts- much to McKay's sorrow! I'll be the 1st to admit that I am a tight wad or cheap sake, however I prefer frugal. Sometimes I feel like the meanest mom telling them NO over and over again, while trying to explain that they really do not need it when they see kids all around them enjoying it. At times my mommy heart just wants to do it all, but why, we still had a wonderful time and didn't have to take out a small loan to attend the circus. Hopefully along the way and through all the No's my children still feel loved and learn a thing or two about Provident Living and living within their means. Monday night Kent brought McKay home a Large bag of Peanuts from the grocery store and explained to him that he got the entire bag for only $1.50, hopefully a small lesson learned that it's worth the wait - he has been enjoying them all week! Today, I came across this quote which brought me some peace of mind that amidst all the NO's perhaps were doing the greater good :"Wise and provident living is a lifestyle that builds character and increases our temporal, social, emotional, and spiritual well-being. Provident living means to prudently and frugally use our resources, to make provision for the future as well as to provide wisely for our current needs.” This months Visiting Teaching lesson is also on managing our resources wisely and staying out of d
ebt. Who would of thought you could learn such a life lesson at the Circus of all places. As for McKay, his life lessons went even deeper... As we were leaving and talking about our "Favorite acts" he said "Mom, the one thing I didn't like about the Circus was the immodest people." I was so proud of him. I am just fine with the acrobats wearing leotards, but the lady with the hula hoops seriously could of
been a striper with her moves in her skin tight leather pants, high heels and rhinestone studded bar. Kind of sad, if you ask me, especially at a family Circus. Not appropriate I agree, but capturing McKay's face while watching totally cracked Kent and I up, Need you think McKay was totally innocent check out the captivated picture we snapped. All in all we had a fun time at the Circus. I thoroughly enjoyed just being all together as a family, especially happy that McKenna ended up having a good time despite her thinking she'd rather be having a Late Over with Friends vs being at the circus. I love seeing their genuine smiles radiate even without all the extra goodies.
4 days ago




5 comments:
Ryan is still talking about the great time he had with you all at the circus and at home last weekend. Thank you, you were an answer to prayers. I
You are a better mother than I, my dear friend. I did dispose of the ticket. No, meant no. Looks like we may have missed out though! Great reminders that provident living is the way we are suppose to live and yet we can still have a great time and love life.
I don't think I'm quite as "frugal" as you, but I honestly feel that my children enjoy experiences more, since they know we aren't going to be buying a lot of stuff. Dave and I are often shocked at Disneyland how many children we see throwing a tantrum because they don't get to buy stuff. What? You are at Disneyland. Hello! I ran into my friend yesterday at Toys R Us and I told her I don't even think my children know you can actually make purchases there, they think it is a place to play and leave empty handed.
Your family is adorable!! You look great too by the way!! I get irritated anytime my son comes from school with something that costs money because the teachers talk it up so much, you feel like a bad parent if you don't do it.
Way to go Diana! I too am a cheapskate and never get my kids popcorn/drinks at movies etc. I think it's good for them to want sometimes and not to have instant gratification. Stand firm!
Post a Comment