Monday, April 28, 2008

Bald is Beautiful (Handsome)

Happy Six Months Monson! My bald headed babies bring me such joy!! Lots of people comment that Monson looks just like his Dad, I think it has a lot to do with their matching hair style. Not many can sport the look and still look good, but they both can pull it off. Friday Kent and I ran in a benefit 5K for our good friend Travis Poll who is battling cancer. Kent and T have been friends since they were 5 years old. In honor and support of Travis, he shaved a T on the back of his head. We love you Travis. You are in our every prayer. Truthfully we almost forgot why we were at the 5K. We had SO much fun. It was great to see so many old friends and just hang out and visit. There truly is strength in numbers. It was remarkable to see all the support. Check out Mandy's blog for more details/pictures their story is truly inspirational. http://www.wonderingsofawannabe.blogspot.com/
JUST A FEW FUNNIES ABOUT THE "T"...
*Kent shaved his head, then remembered he had a lunch date with Kenna at the elementary. Kenna was a little embarrassed but felt pretty cool when all the kids kept asking if that was her dad.
*At the 5K two different bishops came up to Kent and jokingly said he had an inappropriate hair style for a bishop. However buddies of 25plus years vs. Bishop of 6 months... being a true friend came out on top.
*Seeing the youth in our ward take pictures with their cell phone of the Bishop - now that's a good connection.
*Went over to the Distribution Center after the race and the looks we got were hilarious, perhaps they thought the "T" stood for Temple. Kent was picking up a few things for the ward and when they were confirming whom the Bishop of the ward was they paused for a moment when Kent said Kent Hyer and they had just saw his recommend with the matching name. He apologized and said he normally looks a little different.
*Went out to eat and the little boy sitting behind us whispered to his mom, 'somebodies been writing on that mans head'.
What a fun day. It was a good reminder that you can't judge a book by it's cover and that friendship runs deep. I was a proud wife. I am so thankful for good friends and to have Kent as my best friend. He is such an example to me of not caring what other people think and just doing what is right. I love his carefree attitude and not sweating the small stuff. Just one more funny... his motiviation for running as well as he did -21min. Some punk kid :) (name is being withheld to protect the guilty) said "Nice 'T' too bad, your going to be at the back of the pack and no one will be able to see it." Kent showed him. He may be old, bald and a bishop but he still has skill and determination. Reed, Travis's Dad, made Kent's day when he said that Kent was the first person he knew to cross the finish line. Way to go Kent!! Little Monson, here's hoping you inheret more than just your dad's hair because he has so much to offer.

13 comments:

Becky A said...

I loved the T, too! Kent is awesome. And I didn't know he was such a runner! He was fast, and as he crossed the finish line looked like he could have kept going! word verification has gotten harder over the weekend. Yikes!

Nicole said...

Ben told me about the T and I think it is awesome. Ben was impressed with Kent he had no idea he could run that fast. Always fun to learn something new about your bishop.

Anonymous said...

Diana - wow, I love your summary of last Friday and your life. It was great to see you guys and congrats to Kent on the running and the hair. Love it! Great to catch up, (you can now post comments on my blog) and we'll plan a get together for early June! take care my friend!!

Michelle said...

The race was such a neat experience. I thought it was awesome that Kent did that!! So fun. It was quite impressive that he ran so fast. You did dang good, too!

Jenny Kapp said...

I was only sad that he shaved it off before sunday. The looks he would have gotten as a bishop with a T on his head would have been great! He probably would have gotten released too!!!

Sarah B said...

Love the T! Diana, you should have done it too! You guys should run the Ogden 5K in May.

April said...

That is so awsome! Kent is such a great guy & a great friend!!!

Kathy said...

OK, so I don't really know where to post this but I honestly think you need to write an inspirational book about your life. I truly believe that you are the most positive and happy person that I have ever met. I am truly blessed that I share a back fence with you and I hope that some of the inspiration will rub off. Truly Diana, you are one of a kind in my book :) I love your spirit!

Diana said...

Kathy, you are too kind... looks like we are both burning the midnight oil -want to come over for a midnight rootbeer float?

Kathy said...

Ahhh.. a girl after my own heart! Rootbeer and Ice cream. Is there anything better?

We should sneak out to the back fence and do it :) Definitely in the summer when we have a "way" to get the kids over the fence we will HAVE to!

Anonymous said...

Honestly, Kent is a natural runner! He has great form! I got it on video. Amazing! :) This is the first race that Travis hasn't had Kent on his mind in terms of competition! :)

Diana said...

Poor Kent, now the pressure will be on for SW Days, I think he likes being the undiscovered talent, I guess I shouldn't of bragged but that's what wife's do best. Just wish I was in as good of shape as Kent. I honestly hate to run - it hurts.

Jess said...

That looks like fun. It sounds like you and Kent have a wonderful life. Sorry about the email it was the wrong one. I would love to catch up. I am wondering how the other girls are. I haven't been in touch with anyone. I just heard about kay larson in Jan. So sad. Call or email. jzauggphoto@yahoo.com I'll email you my number.
-Jess