THOMAS MONSON
In honor of our beloved and amazing Prophet... Thomas & Moson graciously posed for a memorial photo on Sunday April 6th. This being both Baby Monson's and President Thomas S. Monson's 1st General Conference as the Prophet of our Church. Thomas and Monson are best cousins on the Hyer side. They are exactly three months apart. Both Joni and I were pregnant and had already chosen their names when I put the connection together of little Thomas-Monson running around Grandma's house. I can just hear it now, the two of them outside playing, Grandpa calling them in for dinner and yelling out the back door "Thomas...Monson". They are so cute together. I look forward to watching them grow up. I love Conference weekend!!! Everything about it... hearing the words of the Prophet in my home, watching conference in my P.J.'s, gathering with family, it is all so edifying and rejuvenating. Sister Cheryl Lant spoke in the Saturday Morning session on "Traditions of their Fathers" which has really got me thinking. She referenced the Lamanites not being willing to accept the gospel because of the 'traditions of their fathers'. What righteous traditions are Kent and I passing onto our kids in regards to General Conference, so our children will have a sincere desire to take part? Please share some of your family General Conference traditions which help make it a fun and unique weekend. We try to make it a special weekend. All week we build it up with anticipation... guess what this weekend is...General Conference!!! Kent kicks it off with making a big waffle, bacon and eggs breakfast. We enjoy listening to conference together as a family, with the kids playing quietly in the living room, with the one request that when the Prophet speaks we stop whatever we are doing and give him are undivided attention. It is fun to see the kids come running and sit right down in front of the T.V. They were so excited to hear President Monson for the first time as our Prophet. We couldn't resist capturing this moment in time... our little Monson looking into President Monson's eyes.

A long running tradition is Kent attending Priesthood Session with his Grandpa, Dad and brothers. The kids and I visit with his Grandma, when the men return we all have Root beer Floats. I love listening to them recap the Priesthood session, especially the part where they are reminded to cherish their wives:) Conference weekend is the best boost for strengthening all relationships. I LOVE it!! Conference Weekend also means good food. On Sunday we ate with both parents. We visited with my family in between and watched the afternoon session with them. During President Monson's closing remarks all the the grand kids climbed up in bed with Grandma and Grandpa. It was a proud moment for them. I also was able to meet my first great niece Carly. (My nephew Skyler is in 7th grade and had the mechanical doll assignment for the weekend. McKenna was so intrigued and can not wait until her turn. She said she didn't care if her baby was black or white. If she gets a cute little black baby then she will name her Brownie. Maggie is hoping for a purple baby. ) We finished our day at the Hyers. It was wonderful to be together as a family. General Conference is always a great reminder of how important family truly is, not just the immediate but the extended. We truly are blessed.

9 comments:
my kids love to eat a bunch of treats during conference. for months now, every time we go to sam's club, Will eyes the ginormous bucket of cheese puff balls and reminds me that we get them for conference. We have other traditions, too, like Pajama day on sunday, conference folders for the kids to work on etc.
Di,
I loved your blog, keep up the good work. You are awesome
Love,
Mom
Sounds like you had a fun conference weekend! I bet you loved having Kent home all day on a Sunday!
Amen to having Kent home all day on a Sunday. I almost wrote it in my blog, but didn't want anyone to think I begrudged him being away at meetings.
I thought of Monson during conference and realized that to him- he would be named after the prophet- even though it wasn't that way when he was born. So funny how that worked. I loved conference too. So uplifting.
Ok, I loved your post! My only problem was I was reading it and got to the part where you spoke of your new grand-nephew and you young nephew being the father and got interrupted and didn't find out it was a doll for about an half hour. I was really worried for your sister!!!! I am glad you had a great weekend!
Diana - loved your post. I am jelous of how nice your weekend was! You know I was kidding about the inspiration thing right? Just pity partying for myself. Unlike you I am begrudged at Matt being away on Sundays (until Mon, Tues & Wed when he is home all day!) Anyway, I do appreciate the opportunity and I did get to hear the best talk in its entirety.
I do want to go to WC but unfortunately I have conflicts. Matt has training on Thursday he can't get out of and my other babysitting options are all unable to assist. My nephew also has the starring role in a play for his school on Thursday and I would like to support him. So I am hoping you are all going to go next year and that I will be able to tag along. Thanks so much for the invite. I really appreciate being thought of. You are inspired after all. hee hee
I saw you at soccer, too, but was on my way to work...just took a few minutes to snap a few pictures of Will. (for my blog, of course.)
Hey darlin'! You posted the awesome, inspiring Conference post that I "wanted" to, but didn't make time to...the story of my life. I had it all in my head and was so excited because I have quite a few ladies who read my blog who aren't members. It's never too late, right? I could post it tomorrow and have a be a "one-week later" type of post!
Post a Comment