Thursday, December 17, 2009

This is for you Grandma Thomas...


I love all the sights, sounds and smells of Christmas yet I will be the 1st to admit that I am not a baker. This cake caused me some anxiety. I learned a few valuable lessons: do not substitute margarine for real butter or milk chocolate for semi sweet and use fresh strawberries not frozen. All in all, it turned out and was a fun tribute to Grandma. For the past two years I have received the Taste of Home Magazine as a gift from Grandma Thomas, sad but very true 98% of them are still in the plastic wrap in my kitchen cupboard. When I received this months, a tinge of guilt swept over me, especially when I read: A gift from Francis Thomas above my printed name and address label. I was determined not to let this now precious gift go unused. I made a promise to myself that from here on out until my subscription expires I will open the magazine and make at least one recipe. I called Kent's mom that very day and told her I would bring dessert to our family party that upcoming Saturday. I needed a commitment date or I would put it off. Kent nor I are big cake eaters, but the picture was so pretty, I wanted to try it out, but needed help consuming it. Thank you Grandma for your generosity. [Here's a funny, Grandma had accidentally renewed her subscription to Taste of Home and paid in full through 2017. When Myrt was going over her bills prior to her passing away, she started laughing and said "Mom, you plan on living a long life?" Grandma called and thoughtfully had them credit her account to each of her Granddaughters, it truly is the gift that keeps on giving.

While us girls were busy baking... The boys were out lending a helping hand:

That evening we all enjoyed our Hyer Family Party:

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this post. If you neede another commitment date I'm sure the Baldwin's are free in January. YUMMMMMMM

Diana said...

Sound's like a date, would you like to join us dinner or dessert or would you like it delivered. Looking forward to seeing you this weekend. Have fun at your cookie party.

Jenny Kapp said...

I love the family picture from Temple Square! So cute! Way to be daring in cooking too!

The Steffensen's said...

Mmm. Now I'm super excited for what's in store tonight:) We are not cake eaters either, but they are always so fun to make and usually fairly simple. I wish we liked cake and cupcakes more. My kids just eat the frosting off the top!

Ben & Mona said...

Okay, I love Taste of Home and I don't even subscribe to it. I'm so jealous. The cake looks amazing! Did you make the gingerbread for the gingerbread house too?

Diana said...

Mona- next time your in Utah, I send you home with as many magizines as you want.

Jcsamgwallace said...

Good for You! The cake looks great!