Monday, January 25, 2010

The Amazing Racer...

My Sister (the 1 up front) is THE COOLEST!!! She competed in her 1st Cayuco Race this Saturday and is training for a three day Ocean To Ocean 50 MILE Race in March. [Atlantic to Pacific through the Panama Canal] She is living it up in Panama and I'm way proud of her. Today just happens to be her Birthday... Happy Birthday Tam, you Rock!
I really shouldn't do this to the birthday girl, but her exact wording in her email cracked me up when I asked how they determine their positioning in the boat. Here's her response:
"There are four different positions. The front (me) is pacer. I keep the pace and tell everyone when to switch paddles. You have to be able to count to twelve and yell "READY" "PULL" really loud. The second is the power. This person is suppose to be your very strongest person. The third is the bailer. This person keeps all the water out of the boat (however in our boat we haven't taken any water so our bailer really just paddles and has the easy job.) The fourth person is the steerer. This person has to be super cordinated. They have to steer with their feet while paddling with their paddle. The steering is very sensitive just a little to the right can send you really off course. We really don't have one leader we nominated "S" because she is native Spanish to be our captain." I'm just yelling "ONE" "TWO".....It really is a lot of fun. Wish you could be at my race. " Wish I could be there too!!! Good luck Sis, I love you!

4 comments:

Collings Family said...

That's so cool!

Jenny Kapp said...

I have seriously always wanted to do that! Looks like so much fun. Maybe a little too much coordination for me though!

Polka Dots and Posies said...

I bet that is a riot!! I'd love to see. We took our kids to Bear Lake last winter and it was a blast - glad you had a great time!!

Angela said...

Maybe i need to move to Pananma to have some adventure in my life!