Sunday, January 10, 2010

Traditions

"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future. -JFK". I'm certainly looking forward to a bright future in 2010, yet the past holds so many unrecorded good memories with news ones being created each day. There is no way one blog could hold or capture them all. However, before I totally say good bye to 09, I promised myself and Kira a past post of our Disneyland Trip in April, Narnia Days in June, for poor Maggie her Ballerina Birthday Party in July, Girls Camp in August and the 1st day of Kindergarten in September. I'm really considering printing off my Blog to keep as a family scrapbook and would not want these choice events to be left out, however tonight is not the night. Hopefully soon! I think I will just post date them so they fall in chronically. As I try to capture the past, things continue to change in the now. 2010 has lots to already record... new additions to the family, visits from the tooth fairy, eight is great.... so before I close the book on 2009, I wanted to highlight a few of our Christmas Traditions.

For as long as Kent can remember he has spent Christmas Eve with his Grandma and Grandpa Hyer. I haven't missed a year since I joined the family. We love you Grandma and Grandpa. Here's hoping for another in 2010, yet cherishing every day not knowing when it will be the last.

Christmas Eve always brings new Christmas Pajamas. This was always one of my favorite Childhood traditions... getting to open one present on Christmas Eve and it always being PJs.

A tradition we LOVE and started six years ago when we moved into our new home was inviting both sets of Grandparents over to enjoy the excitment of Christmas morning and breakfast. I am so thankful and happy all our parents get along and are willing to share this day together. Late morning and into the afternoon we gather at my parents house exchange gifts, each of the grandkids receive a special ornament and letter from Grandma, we read our "Acts of Service" letters dedicated to Grandma Silotti, eat yummy food and play someones new Christmas game. In the evening we load up the car, head to the Hyers and enjoy a delicious prime rib Christmas Dinner, Myrts Christmas gift to Steve, visit with family, sit back and relax.
This year a new tradition was added and it's definitely a keeper...The Christmas Jar. We've already started one for next year. For the past two years we've been dropping coins into our Christmas Jar. One night for Family Home Evening we counted up all the money and encouraged everyone to keep it in their prayers as to whom we should give it to. We had it narrowed down to two different families, but received the answer to our prayerful request when the kids saw “Scott”, our new friend who was standing at a Salt Lake Freeway off ramp holding a sign asking for help. At 1st Kent and I were a bit hesitant, but the kids were determined he was "the one". We rolled down the window and handed it to him; he was instantly overcome with so much emotion and gratitude. Our hearts were full and wished we would have given more. It was truly a highlight of our Christmas.

We were very blessed at our house. Santa, Grandmas and Grandpas were so good to us. Monson loved it all, especially happy with his Buzz and Woody. Maggie got the camera and baby doll she asked Santa for and has been snapping pictures ever since. McKay was thrilled when he got the one and only thing he'd asked for -a Blue and Yellow golf bag, everything else was just icing on the cake. As for my Kenna girl, she grew up this year an Ipod and clothes made her Christmas "The Best Christmas Ever". I too was spoiled... new running shoes, waterproof sports watch for swimming and new couches - major surprise! Kent was nerveous, not knowing if I would love or hate him. Let's just say I was shocked, with mixed emotions but am Thrilled and loving them. Thank you Kent!! My favorite gift and Christmas tradtion is writing letters to each one of my kids and Kent. It is very time consuming but my greatest pleasure and treasure. Both Kent and I do this, our deadline is to have all letters complete and in their stockings by Christmas Eve morning. We pulled an honest to goodness all nighter the night before to accomplish our goal but we did it. I LOVE it. The week between Christmas and New Years we take turns reading the kids letters out loud as a family. Each child has their own binder with the previous years letters, we have been doing this since Kenna was a baby. By the time they move out they will have at least 18 years of their life captured in 36 heartfelt letters from their parents. Tradition has it that Kent and I always read our letters to each other on Christmas Eve just after helping Santa get everything all set up for Christmas morning. This year I decided to do things a little different and picked out a special Willow Tree Statue which capture a quality or specific characteristic I admired in each one of them and highlighted it in their letters.
I love Christmas! I love Traditions! I love Christmas' past, present and future!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, I love this post. Now go to bed!!! With love, Heather

The Steffensen's said...

I can't remember if I have ever told you this, but my mom kind of did the letter writing thing. She did it on our birthdays, though, and just wrote in her journal. Definitely priceless. I now do it for my children and you make me happy I picked to do it on their birthdays, because I am not much for all nighters:)

PS. I'm looking forward to the missed '09 posts!

Jenny Kapp said...

Ooh! I am going to have to come over and see the new couches! I know you have wanted them for some time now! I love the traditions. Sometimes they are a little extra work, but they always add that special touch!

Susan said...

What great traditions! Your kids will treasure those letters forever.

Street Fam said...

Pretty exciting to get new couches! Lucky you!!! We stole your letter writing tradition this year...hope you don't mind. :)