The furthest I have ever run prior to today was 4 miles and that was just once on my 34th Birthday and it about killed me. In fact my neighbor who is an EMT saw me laying on my driveway all red in the face and out of breath and came over to see if I was okay. I hate running, I have a major mental block against it. So today I decided to be proactive and try to change my attitude. The weather was delightful and thanks to my good neighbor [Kathy, I'm really going to miss you] being willing to do a little kid swapping I got to go running. I decided to run 1 hour straight, not worry about mileage or time. I grabbed Kent's ipod and listened to a BYU Devotional Talk - it was 1hr 3 minutes... PERFECT!!! It took my mind off the pain and I really enjoyed myself. In fact I was feeling pretty good so I decided to push for 90minutes. I DID IT and was so excited to jump into the car and retrace my tracks, my heart was so happy when I clocked....SEVEN MILES!!! To all you runners out there, I am way proud of myself so please do not burst my bubble. I know it is a slow running average, but I am thrilled that I busted through that mental block and ran for over an hour straight.
Ironically as I was running and listening to a talk by Elder Richard G. Hinckley he gave an account of a couple walking 25k to renew their temple recommend. Just hearing their distance motivated me to keep going. He shared the following account "I responded to a very rare invitation by my father to accompany him on a journey through Africa in 1998. I was not a General Authority at the time. In Ghana, after examining a proposed temple site in Accra and approving of its purchase, he announced to the 6,000 members gathered in an outdoor meeting that a temple would be built in their land. The response was instant and unexpected. They stood and embraced their neighbors. Many wept and pointed to the ground as if to say, “We will have a temple right here in our homeland.” We had been told the day before of a couple who recently had walked 25 kilometers in order to renew their temple recommends, with no hope ever of seeing a temple. I will never forget my father’s response. He said, “We are here to give them hope.” I will always remember that experience. That temple was dedicated in January 2004. "
Ironically as I was running and listening to a talk by Elder Richard G. Hinckley he gave an account of a couple walking 25k to renew their temple recommend. Just hearing their distance motivated me to keep going. He shared the following account "I responded to a very rare invitation by my father to accompany him on a journey through Africa in 1998. I was not a General Authority at the time. In Ghana, after examining a proposed temple site in Accra and approving of its purchase, he announced to the 6,000 members gathered in an outdoor meeting that a temple would be built in their land. The response was instant and unexpected. They stood and embraced their neighbors. Many wept and pointed to the ground as if to say, “We will have a temple right here in our homeland.” We had been told the day before of a couple who recently had walked 25 kilometers in order to renew their temple recommends, with no hope ever of seeing a temple. I will never forget my father’s response. He said, “We are here to give them hope.” I will always remember that experience. That temple was dedicated in January 2004. "
While listening my thoughts turned from running to the temple and how I need to schedule my bimonthly trips to the temple with as much planning and anticipation as I do my workouts. I am so blessed to live so close to so many temples. I love President Hinckleys words: "I urge our people everywhere, with all of the persuasiveness of which I am capable, to live worthy to hold a temple recommend, to secure one and regard it as a precious asset, and to make a greater effort to go to the house of the Lord and partake of the spirit and the blessings to be had therein. I am satisfied that every man or woman who goes to the temple in a spirit of sincerity and faith leaves the house of the Lord a better man or woman".
Funny how my thoughts can jump from one thing to the next, but that is the beauty of exercising... it clears my mind and allows me to just think!




5 comments:
Way to go!! Diana, that seriously is so cool. Next thing we know you'll be running a marathon!!! :)
After reading this post I was reminded that I still need to take you up on that offer of babysitting my kids while I go do some initiatory work. Is the offer still there?
Aleesha, the offer still stands! You're the one that inspired me to give it a try after your Ogden Marathon Relay sucess. Maybe we can do the 1/2 marathon next year. Now that would be really pushing it for me.
Diana, I have one word for you: AMAZING. Luv u to pieces!!!!
-Melissa
where is the Cancun blog????
I agree with Tammy...I was thinking I was gonna see some sunny beach pics...but a temple one is just fine too. I am sooo proud of you girl. I really believe and know our bodies are a lot stronger than we give them credit for...it is mind over matter. It is such a high to push yourself beyond what you thought you could do only to realize all you have to do is try and believe. Great job!!! (And I would be willing to do a running swap with ya if you want...at least once a week...?) And I will be coming with you again...I have been so sick and so have Ty and Kailey. I am getting better though...
Post a Comment