Friday, June 11, 2010

Echoing in my mind...

One line from General Conference keeps echoing in my mind... "Does anyone have a problem with the plan of Salvation?" I want to silently yell "YES", when it involves taking away Kent's best friend for over 3o years, an amazing tender, loving husband to my dear friend, an incredible and involved Dad to four darling children and all around good guy. Truly a human magnet who radiates happiness and kindness. Yet, deep down I know it's all part of the plan. However, knowing doesn't make it easier. With the above question on automatic replay, repeating over and over in my head I finally took some quiet time this morning to look up the conference talk [The Rock of Our Redeemer - Elder Wilford W. Anderson April 2010] read it, listened and reflected. I did find comfort in Elder Anderson words:
Sadness and fear begin to melt away and are replaced by happiness and peace when we put our trust in the Author of the plan of happiness and when we develop faith in the Prince of Peace. Recently a dear friend of mine passed away from cancer. He and his family are people of great faith. It was inspiring to see how their faith carried them through this very difficult time. They were filled with an inner peace that sustained and strengthened them. With their permission I would like to read from a family member’s letter written just days before her father passed away:
“The last few days have been especially difficult . . . Last night as we gathered at Dad’s bedside, the Spirit of the Lord was palpable and truly acted as a comforter to us. We are at peace. . . . It has been the hardest thing any of us has ever experienced, but we feel peace in the knowledge that . . . our Father in Heaven has promised that we will live together as a family again. After the doctor told Dad in the hospital that there was nothing left to be done, he looked at all of us with perfect faith and boldly asked, ‘Does anybody in this room have a problem with the plan of salvation?’ We do not and are grateful for a father and mother who have taught us to have perfect trust in the plan.”
I speak to all who suffer, to all who mourn, to all who now face or who will yet face trials and challenges in this life. My message is to all who are worried or afraid or discouraged. My message is but an echo, a reminder of the constant comforting counsel from a loving Father to His children since the world began.


Travis and Mandy truly emulate these exact words, they are a family of great faith. A true inspiration to all around them of how their faith carries them through this very difficult time. I know it is devastating but I have been amazed by the inner peace that has sustained and strengthened them through this challenge. I am forever grateful for their friendship and example. Kent moved to SW in the Spring of 79. Travis was his 1st friend. They were in kindergarten together. Here they are with their little kindergartners 31 years later.

7 comments:

Aleesha said...

That was sweet Diana. Kent really has been a good friend to T. Thanks for all the love and support you've given them and to me!

By the way, I didn't realize Kent moved in when I was only a couple months old. No wonder I feel like he's always been a brother to me.

shae said...

Beautiful post! Thank you!! ditto to all the wonderful things said.

Dustie said...

Simply a beautiful post. Many thoughts and prayers are with all of you at this time.

Kim said...

What a great post for so many reasons Diana. We wish there was more we could do but to keep you in our thoughts and prayers as well as Travis.

Anonymous said...

Been thinking about all of you. I love you "Annie-dawn".

Kristin said...

Thanks for this. It was beautiful and comforting. Mandy is my husband's cousin.

The Steffensen's said...

My heart aches for them. They are truly amazing examples.