Thursday, September 9, 2010

Ray of Sunshine

Harold, his brother and Dad opened the 1st and only store in South Weber in 1969. [This sign, picture taken outside "The Store" now under new ownership, on the night of Harold's passing] It's TRUE - Harold Ray, all of South Weber will miss you!!! Especially Kent, one of your hundreds of scouters who admired you immensely and has you to thank for teaching him how to snow and water ski and endless late night chats at the store. Yet more importantly, you shaped his character by your years of friendship, counsel, leadership and example. Today I attended the funeral of one of the most amazing men I know. Harold encompassed everything I love about South Weber!!! He loved and respected everyone and in turn everyone loved and respected him. He was a friend to all! At the viewing, while watching Harold's Life Video, Kent and I saw this picture from our wedding:It warmed our hearts and brought a smile to our face- Harold has always been in Kent's life and entered mine the 1st Sunday I attended church with Kent when we were dating. He warmly and instantly welcomed me into the South Weber Family! I love our little community and never want to move. The world needs more Harold Rays- who love all, is nonjudgmental, humble, hard working, jovial, faithful and in the words of his grandson 'may we follow his example and talk to those who need talking to'. After listening to countless stories about Harold's adventures I consider myself one of the lucky ones who got to spend a week down at Lake Powell with Harold and his famous boat - but it was more than that. We spent a week with a man who was willing to come hang out with 12 crazy young adults -just because he loved the youth and was so giving of his time and talents. We Love and miss you Harold.

[Sorry about the sideways pic - I'll protect the innocent by not listing names - but you know who you are! Remember the good old days of no responsibilites, when we were all single and so easily said "we're going to Powell no matter what- even if we had to quit our jobs"? Oh to be young again! Age never stopped Harold, lets do it again. Who's up for a Lake Powell reunion?]

4 comments:

Aleesha said...

Oh how I love Harold Ray. I remember countless times riding around in his boat up at Pineview, or many long chats up at Ray's. He really did genuinely love everyone. Especially the youth. I bet T is so excited to see him right now. He loved Harold and had many stories of his own about him.

Diana said...

Aleesha- Kent and talked about Harold and T's reunion with smiles!! If you want a good laugh come over sometime and watch the VHS homevideo of the variesty scouts - T, Kent, Jarom, Matt cliff diving with Ivan and Harold's commentary behind the camera.

Anonymous said...

Honestly, after initially being shocked for a second at the news of Harold's passing, I got butterflies in my stomach knowing that Harold had probably already experienced a big T hug. He meant so much to Travis.

The Ray Reader said...

Loved the Guy!! He never had a bad thing to say about anyone and loved that powell trip, wow that picture is a crack up!! Good Memories with Harold. I told my kids, I said you know I knew Uncle Harold before I knew your dad!! They were like WOW!!