Sunday, September 21, 2008

If the Savior Stood Beside Me

Today was the children's primary program - like always a special and entertaining sacrament meeting. With all the kids up on the stand it made for a very quiet and relaxing meeting for me. With Monson asleep on my lap, it was too relaxing and I am embarrassed to say that I nodded off... I felt so bad when I opened my eyes and instantly made eye contact with Kenna just smiling and snickering with her teacher and classmates. I love watching all the kids, my favorite are the little sunbeams (3&4 year olds) who sit up there and wave and blow kisses. Each of the kids did a great job and their parts are wonderful words to live by:
Kenna: The Holy Ghost prompts me to repent and live righteously now that I am baptized and confirmed.
McKay: Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God... D&C 88:118 (he memorized the entire scripture - pretty impressive:)
Maggie: I am thankful for my friends.
If the Savior Stood Beside Me was the closing song which made me so happy. This year it has become my #1 favorite primary song. The words to the song hang on my fridge and I read them daily...
If the Savior stood beside me, would I do the things I do?
Would I think of His commandments and try harder to be true?Would I follow His example? Would I live more righteously,If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me?

If the Savior stood beside me, would I say the things I say?
Would my words be true and kind if He were never far away?
Would I try to share the gospel? Would I speak more reverently,if I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me?

He is always near me though I do not see Him there,
And because He loves me dearly, I am in His watchful care.
So I'll be the kind of person that I know I'd like to be,
If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me?

The words are so beautiful and so true! Often times I will hear the words in my head and instantly change my attitude and behavior. This simple song even helps out with my parenting- when I check in on the kids doing their various activities - watching TV, playing on the computer, listening to music, playing with friends and I will ask the simple question - would you be watching/doing this is the Savior was right beside you? It really makes you stop and think.

While I'm on the church topic - We had an awesome ward activity last night. It was a Service Auction and we used pretend Mormon Mullah so if anyone is looking for ideas in their ward let me know and I will give you all the details. We had a great time. Here's hoping we have a repeat in the Spring!
Our Stake Presidency is incredible, once a year they host a dinner and invite just the Bishop's wives for a nice evening out. This was my 1st one and I really enjoyed myself. President Crittenden made a comment that has really stuck with me... "The wife/mother is the one that makes the house a home." This is so true, the kids adore Kent but they are use to him coming and going, on most days with out questions, but if I go to leave the interrogation begins... where are you going, can I come, when will you be home and who will be watching us? A mother truly sets the tone of the home. It's my daily prayer that I set the tone in our home that the Savior will feel welcomed, let's just say there is always room for improvement. As I'm typing this I can hear the tone in my home changing and it's not for the good so I best be going...
FYI ... I had a Ball at the Ball...I promise to post pictures tomorrow!

4 comments:

Aleesha said...

Your posts are always so nice.

I'm still waiting for the post of your big night. You looked so beautiful!

Becky A said...

way to memorize, McKay! I agree with Aleesha, nice posts...you always give me something to ponder throughout the day!

The Steffensen's said...

I love that song also (especially the last verse) and have had so much fun learning it in primary this year.

Tell Kay great job on the memorizing!

The Ray Reader said...

I am in the primary and I love when the kids sing that song. It is Tanners favorite song has become one of mine as well.