Thursday, June 4, 2009

Got the Tassel without The Hassle

Watch out Class of 2020!!! If McKay's Senior pictures turn out half as good as this, I will be so happy - what a cutie!!! I love the sparkle in his eyes and his happy go lucky smile! I pray his zest for life is never quenched. He has so much to offer and accomplish. I love his spunk and his energy. Today I attended McKay's "First Grade Closing Social". What a treat! They sang a few songs and we watch a video highlighting the year. I was doing pretty good watching the DVD until The Climb by Miley Cyris (currently playing) came on with close-up pictures of each of the kids. I don't think there was a dry eyed mom in the classroom. Prior to showing the video Mrs. Quarnberg made a few tender remarks. She thanked her class for being so wonderful and started to cry telling each one how proud she was and would dearly miss them. It was heartfelt, especially when she said "I love this class and would move up with them if I could." I wish she could - Mrs. Quarnberg is sensational and sincere. It is obvious that she invests not only time but a major part of her heart into her class. McKay loved 1st grade, to which I owe a big thank you to this incredible lady. Not only did she make a video, she gave a copy to each students, plus a CD of their "Morning Boogie Tunes" and a Scrapbook featuring their their artwork and projects. On top of all that, tonight I had a surprise visitor at my door bearing yet another gift. Mrs. Q hand delivered a thank you gift to each of the volunteer moms. Once again, above and beyond - it was a 4x4 tile with a personalized quote from McKay, written in vinyl lettering. It reads: "Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but sometimes they can be hard to speak. -McKay Hyer"
McKay, thanks for letting me come on your field trip to the Utah House. It was fun spending the day with you and your class. Being able to volunteer, is one of my greatest stay-at-home mommy paychecks. While riding on the bus one of the parents asked if I'd ever been a field trip chaperone before? I said "oh yes, haven't missed one sense McKenna was in kindergarten. I love it!" Thanks for being my buddy. Good-bye my little 1st grader. I am excited for all your 2nd grade adventures.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

McKay, What a handsome dude you are. I can't wait until we leave for the cabin. Hopefully you won't have problems with your eyes. I know how miserable that feels. Your eyes reminded me of Aunt Tammys and mine. It's the pits. I love you and I am waiting for my Kay Kay Hugs!

Aleesha said...

Can you hardly believe how fast our kids are growing up?! McKay is such a cute kid. It was fun watching him and Isaac play each other in coach pitch the other day.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like McKay got the better first grade teacher. Ainsley's teacher didn't do much with the kids. I hope 2nd is better. Can you believe the class of 2020!! I also love field trips and voluteering. It makes being mom fun. Too bad they have to get older and the school doesn't need you to help in the classes anymore. I miss not helping in Jacob's class. See you soon.

The Steffensen's said...

Way to go handsome Kay Kay!