Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Dog Gone Fun

It's been five months since McKenna brought Cinnamon home to our family and the dog fixation is still going strong. Today McKenna celebrated her 9th birthday and had a "Puppy In My Pocket" Birthday Party. Actually it was just Dogs in general. Everything was centered around dogs - the invitations, decorations, music, games, movie, cupcakes, and take home stuff animal dogs. I was thrilled when she wanted to do a puppy party, kids just grow up way to fast, it was nice keeping her little for one more year. Kenna's been counting down the days until this glorious doggie day. It's even been in her daily prayer, that all her friends will be healthy and available to attend the party and that they would all have a good time. I think her prayers were answered today. It was fun having a Doghouse full of giggly girls.

In honor of Kenna's Dance recital we popped up some popcorn and watched Beverly Hills Chichuchu with a side order of yummy chocolaty dog food.

On the Eve of her Birthday McKenna was invited to have a sleepover with her cousin. I graciously declined, telling my sister I didn't want to miss all the Birthday morning excitement and anticipation. I love making a big deal over their SPECIAL Day starting from the moment they wake up. This morning Kenna woke up to this:
Yummy dog food (coco puffs) served in a China bowl and 9 dogs and their pups surrounding her place setting. Happy Birthday Mckenna! You really have turned into a very responsible person. I truly appreciate all of your help. You are the best little babysitter. You were amazing on Sunday, thanks for pushing Monson home in the stroller while I finished up a few things at church. It was such a wonderful surprise to come home and hear you say "Monson is asleep in his crib" and see you unloading the dish washer just because you wanted to make me happy. Mckenna, you make me happy every day. My gift to you is to try even harder to love Cinnamon and not make so many sarcastic remarks about getting rid of her. Truth be known, they are not sarcastic - I wish I was even half the dog lover you are. I know how much you love and adore her. I am sorry I made you cry the other day when I freaked out about her peeing on my floor. I love your tender heart and your great love of animals. Each day I am learning from your example. Please be patient with me and I will try my best to be patient with Cinnamon. My favorite is watching the two of you snuggle each night. I am not sure who is more content you or Cinnamon. She loves being curled up in your arms. Happy Birthday Kenna girl, you truly are one in a million. Dad and I are so proud of you. May you always remember just how special you are. We are so lucky to have you.

5 comments:

Polka Dots and Posies said...

Happy Birthday McKenna! Okay Diana, you're making me all self-concious of my party throwing abilities (or lack thereof)! Looks like a super fun time. Isn't it so cool to have a 9yr old? We should get together and let our kids play :) - Amy

Anonymous said...

Great Birthday Party for McKenna. Diana you are such a creative and loving mom. I felt for you when you were appoligizing for getting upset because the dog peed on the floor....I think most parents have lost their cool like this...but I wonder how many take time to acknowledge their reaction rather than response and then loving enough to let their children know how much they regret it..and ultimately let their child know ..it wasn't their fault...and that the child is so loved. Great Parenting! lots of love, Dawn Bowman

Diana said...

thanks mom for appoligizing iforgive you

Aleesha said...

You are so creative Diana! I love how you make a big deal out of everything (in a good way).

Happy Birthday McKenna. It was funny reading how special you are to your mom. I also love seeing you and that big smile you always have on your face. You're such a sweet and kind person. Hope your birthday was a wonderful one.

Angela said...

That is awesome that you make a cute surprise for your kids to wake up to. I need to talk to you before any big day to get ideas! That is cool that Hud and McKenna have the same birthday. Hud didn't know it either. It was fun to see the cute girls their age at her party. I haven't been on forever and need to post on his party too. I hope McKenna stays that affectionate with her dog, cause Tierra outgrew hers once she became a teenager! And I really did get rid of her. I'm sad Narnia is over since I got to talk to you more during that time!