Monday, February 9, 2009

Puppy Love

Close family and friends, brace yourselves- this post may come as a SHOCKER... I'm pretty sure I wasn't abducted by aliens, however I'm begining to question my sanity. For starters my Pet Philosophy has been violated...
I had only one Pet Rule -"Yes, you may have a pet when you find one that doesn't poop." The kids were HAPPY because I never told them no! Well, until about six months ago when McKenna came to me with big tears in her eyes and said "I'll never have a pet, they all poop". Often times we'd say who needs a pet we have Monson. In September she took this to the extreme:

How did I not see the signs... McKenna has been working her Voodoo magic while I naively stood by, thinking it was cute and taking pictures of her creative artwork and ideas. Not knowing she was sending subliminal messages. Two weeks ago she made this "Dog Fortune Teller Bag", walking around the house having everyone draw out their fortune. Mine read: You will get a dog with brown eyes. On countless occasions she was found taking family polls and creating lists of good Dog Names. My vote was always Tequila or Bruskie. I played along thinking it was all in fun and games. The past few months she has had nothing but Puppy on the Brain. She was obsessed with watching Animal Planet, in hopes of a Dog Show Special. When she had computer playtime she often asked to look up "Yorkies" on the net. She checked out multiple Books on Dogs from the library and was always doing her research on the "Best" dog for our family. She had it narrowed down to a Yorkie Terrier. At Christmas time she said she'd be perfectly content if she woke up Christmas Morning and had not a single gift under the tree except for a puppy in her stocking. I flat out told her not to get her hopes up and to ask Santa for something different. Never in my wildest dreams did I think her Christmas Wish would come true so soon:


Just last Tuesday when I volunteered at the school Book Fair, I catered to her "Dream" of having a Yorkie and bought her Princess, a Yorkie Puppy Place Chapter Book. She was thrilled and I was pleasantly pleased:) thinking I was the best mom ever! I was the superhero for almost a week until Dad one upped me...
This is how it all shook down... Saturday, Kent went to run a few errands and invited McKay to come with him, McKay declined and Kenna jumped at the chance (According to McKenna- the 1st sequence in a series of Fate that blessed day). At the Layton Target they saw a big sign "Yorkies for Sale" (2nd sequence of Fate). Kent stopped just for fun - with ZERO intentions of buying. MIND YOU... just that morning at breakfast we were talking to the kids and said we needed to wait until Monson was older and not as likely to hurt a small dog. Plus if and when we got a dog it would definitely be in the Spring or summer time due to potty training. So much for our conversation that very morning!! That afternoon I get a phone call "You'll never guess where we're at.... ?" and the rest is History. Actually let me back up - I tell Kent to "Be Strong". Meanwhile an hour later another phone call, "Is it just the money or timing? McKenna has fallen in love with the cutest little brown eyed, pink nosed puppy." I reply "Timing is everything. I already have a baby to take care of. Be Strong!"I could hear it in his voice he was melting and falling fast. McKenna worked her magic on Daddy and I guess timing is everything and it was time for Cinnamon to join our family. The kids are in Heaven. This weekend has been filled with lots of excitement.

Our 1st night was not so BLISSFUL, especially at two in the morning when Cinnamon started crying and barking VERY LOUD. I thought to myself: Are you kidding me, Monson is just barely sleeping through the nights- now this? It's a good thing Cold Shoulder is just a figure of speech or Kent would of froze to death her 1st night home. Poor guy, Sunday morning he saw my wedding ring sitting on the kitchen counter, I had taken it off a few days ago to make meatloaf and had forgotten to put it back on, seeing his concern I replied "Don't worry, I took it off before you bought the Dog". He breathed a sigh of relief. He too, was having second thoughts, but only on my behalf. He is whooped and thinks Cinnamon is the cutest dog ever and just beams each time the kids say "Thanks Dad for the Dog". He feels like the Super Hero Daddy and I'm glad. Just wish me luck with the house training - any and all suggestions are appreciated. Last night Cinnamon slept better. Kent put a radio next to the tote and turned it to talk radio. Cinnamon just needed some extra company. She really is a doll baby, she's snuggled up on my lap as I type. So tiny and cute - only seven weeks old. Now I have the brown eyed baby I always wanted just never thought it'd come in precious puppy eyes.

17 comments:

kim said...

You still have the same sense of humor I remember. What a good mom you are to not be mad about the puppy. I bet the kids love it! Good luck with the potty training-I have no advice as I am trying to potty train my 2 1/2 year old and having a tough time.

Andrea said...

What a cute puppy...only problem with puppies-is they grow into dogs! rofl- GL with training- We have 3 too many dogs- luckily they are all OUTSIDE dogs.

Susan said...

Oh wow! What a cute dog. Something about those puppy eyes that we humans can't resist! Hope all goes well and your new baby learns to sleep and poop at and in the right places soon!

Kim said...

Hahaha! I laughed when I read your post because we have been having the same "issues" with Megan...and she wants a Yorkie too. She thinks her birthday in June would be the perfect time...we shall see. I'll have to talk to you about the facts! Have fun though and what a cute little puppy - how could you not fall in love with that!???

Becky A said...

Diana, Diana, Diana...you are a better woman than I...

Anonymous said...

wow, congrats girl! What a darling little thing. I will probably be in that position as well (J & L already outnumber me in voting for a dog). Well yours is certainly sweet looking and your kids seem to be in bliss! Enjoy and we look forward to meeting him soon.

Collings Family said...

Clara came home from school yesterday so excited for McKay. She said, "Did you know that Yorkies eat rats?!"
I asked McKenna how she finally convinced her parents to get a puppy and she said, "I worked my magic on them." So funny!
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Wow a new grandpuppy in the Steffensen family. Coda will be so excited to know that he is not the only puppy. My kids will be excited to meet their new puppy cousin. Di my best advice is make the puppy part of the family. It is better all around. I truly believe that animals are meant to be loved. It amazes me everyday how much love Coda gives me. Make Cinnamon a member of your family. Hey, I just realized that you continued the Peterson tradition and named your puppy with a "C". Way to go McKenna; I wasn't sure if your mom would ever crack. Have her throw a "Pee and Poop" party when Cinnamon finally goes potty outside all by herself.
Tammy

Rebecca said...

Let the games begin. We love that we have owned 1 dog and he will most likey be our last.
Animals are lots of work!! Good for you guys! Lots of fun!

Anonymous said...

Oh boy. Half of me is shuddering at the idea. The other half is melting over that cute little thing. McKenna has certainly been persistent, we must give her that. Persistence never got ME the horse I wanted when I was her age. I asked every Christmas and every birthday... I need to take lessons from that girl! When we were there a couple of months ago she was having me look through two library books about dogs and narrow down my favorites. She did have puppy on the brain! I bet she is in pure heaven! Do me a favor now that you have found yourself in the situation... don't decide it needs to be an outside dog and stick it in a corner of the yard!

Angela said...

Oh Diana, if only you could have bought my Yorkie. She was potty trained! I too had a young girl who wanted a dog and she did get her puppy for Christmas. Noel. I hope McKenna doesn't outgrow this dog like Tierra did 5 years later! :) Your little puppy looks just like Noel when we got her! Yorkies are the cutest puppies! I had a red stuffed dog I named Cinnamon. So the name is dear to my heart. But when I grew up I realized it was suppose to Clifford the big red dog. ha ha
How did you like the Field trip? I thought it was very looong. :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Family,
Please keep Cinnamon sweet and little until I get home from Panama. MEME loves dogs to, but you have to work hard and take good care of it. Make sure it goes potty and talk her for walks.
I love and miss you all!
MEME

Anonymous said...

Oh BOY are you all crazy???? A dog!!! Ryan will want to move into Mckay's house for sure now. I'm not so sure how Skyler will do next time we visit you. Did you all know that Skyler is afraid of Dogs???? Little dogs scare him the most. Anyway welcome to the family cinnamon.

Anonymous said...

OH MY HECK -You got a dog!!! I'm so glad I decided to see if you updated your blog before I wrote you, because this is news!!! I can't believe it. I was laughing so hard about the wedding ring. Anyway, I had been meaning to email you and tell you to bring Mags over sometime, and now you will have to stick to that because my children will not be coming over! Actually, what we will have to do when Cinnamon (or Tequila) is ready for it- is bring the kids over just for a visit to the dog so they will know they are safe. I called Allie in her to show her a picture of what Mags got and asked if she wanted to go visit Cinnamon and she got this worried look and said "but I don't want it to bite me." I really don't want her to be afraid of animals, but I'm a horrible example. So let us know when Cin is ready for visitors and I will be brave and set a good example. Anyway, please really do bring Mags over anytime. Allie loves to play with her, as you know, and I have been "working" a ton. It's been fine, the only hard part is I can't go anywhere with two non-walkers! My other comments ..you got a cell phone! Now I truly am the only one left on the planet without one. But don't worry, I have always planned on getting one when my kids are in school, so you did the right thing:) Oh my goodness I was hoping for another baby announcment from Diana sometime soon, not a dog announcement!!!
-Kira

Diana said...

Thanks all, for the fun comments and encouragement. Everyone is welcomed to stop by and see our new little addition. I'm not kidding, the more the merrier. The kids LOVE showing HER off.
Tam - I totally forgot about the pee and poop celebration party we did with Coda. If I remember right- was it with Lemonade and tootsie rolls - that's nasty, clever and funny. Cinammon is doing surprisingly well. We are doing the Crate/kenell training - and so far and a million trips outside so good. Keep your fingers crossed:) This potty training is consuming my every thought and second. Luckily she is lots of fun and adorable.

Kim said...

You should get a Llama, I hear they don't poop! Sorry I couldn't resist! I found you on Angela's blog!

T said...

Ok, I find it too funny that last night I was dreaming that you were bringing home a new baby and then I read this! Good luck! I'm still enjoying being dog-free at our house but she is pretty cute!