Mckay's 1st time skiing
Kenna's 2nd time skiing
Only one mishap... no sunscreen - McKenna returned home looking like a lobster with raccoon eyes. Just in time to truly shine for her Shining Moment. Last night was McKenna's 1st Piano Recital. She did an excellent job, she played from memory It's A Small World - DisneyLand. It was also her Grandma's very 1st piano recital. They both started taking piano lessons from Ms Molly last May. Myrt played Edelweiss from The Sound of Music. I am so proud of them both. This time last year I would of never thought my little girl and mother-in-law would be sharing center stage. Nor would I have ever imagined being such good friends to a total stranger whom I heard taught piano lessons. I am thankful for Myrt suggesting Molly and the multiple times she encouraged me to call and arrange lessons. Thanks mom, molly and McKenna. I love you all.
Molly, has an amazing story about "Paying it Forward" and I hope she doesn't mind me sharing -I copied this from her blog: When I [Molly] lived with John's parents, his mother used to listen to me picking out songs on their piano, and used to say "You need to take lessons! You have too much talent to let it go to waste!" I resisted at first, thinking "I have small child with one on the way!" or "I'm not really that good." but I remembered the counsel from my patriarchal blessing in which the Lord encouraged me to seek out and develop my talents. Finally, I agreed to take lessons. John's mother offered to pay for me to take lessons for a year as a birthday present. My teacher loved me, because day in and day out she would see students whose parents had dragged them to her against their will, and I on the other hand, worked hard, practiced, followed her instructions and loved every minute of it. After my year of lessons were over with, I had to quit because John and I were saving up for our townhome, and couldn't spare the extra expense. When I told my teacher, she sent me a note that said something like this:"When my husband and I were younger, we only had one car, and I tended children to make extra money. Because I had so many children, I couldn't walk my daughter Jenny to kindergarten, and so she had to walk by herself. She would get scared, and hated it. Somehow, my relief society president found out about it, and began to take her to school. Her kids were in high school, so taking Jenny was out of her way. I wanted to do something to thank her, but she just said 'do something kind for someone else and pay it forward.' I have always tried to continue to pay it forward in my life, and so Molly, from now on your piano lessons are free. You can return the favor by paying it forward."After a few more years of taking lessons, she began to encourage me to teach piano. She started mentoring me, and I practiced on my nephew Kelton for about a year. During that time, I found that I loved teaching piano! When I moved to South Weber, I tried to find kids that had talent, but whose parents may not have been able to afford lessons, and then I offered them lessons for free. I taught them for a year or so, before and after Carter was born. Word got around South Weber that I taught lessons, and I started to get phone calls from people asking if I would teach their kids. John said, "I don't care if you want to take more students, but I think you've done enough paying it forward." It was weird to start taking money from my new students, but also nice! This year, it will have been five years since I started teaching. Thank goodness I followed the counsel in my patriarchal blessing - thank goodness for John's mom, who encouraged me, and thank goodness for my wonderful piano teacher Carrie Allen who is also my good friend.
Molly is the perfect example of paying it forward, which leaves me thinking what am I doing in life to Pay it Forward? McKenna and all her students adore her. I couldn't ask for a better role model for McKenna. I am so glad she likes her piano teacher, it sure does make getting her to practice much easier. Practicing, now that is a whole other post. The one thing I have found to be most successful is having a "Tip Jar" on the piano. When I hear her sit down to practice without being asked or is just doing a good job playing her songs I will stop by and drop a coin in the jar. Thus far it has been a pretty good incentive and motivator, but of course I always hear Why do I have to or can I quit? No way!! I wish I knew how to play the piano. This is one talent whether my kids like it or not, they will develop. I will endure all the complaining and being the enforcer in hopes of the day of having my grateful children come back to thank me for making them practice the piano. I wish I would of stuck with it. I can't even read music. It is one of my biggest regrets. But it's never to late to learn or take lessons - look at my amazing mother in law. Way to go Mom and McKenna! Thanks to all who came to support my little pianist - thanks Dad for the tender tribute.




8 comments:
What a fun day up on the slopes. We all need those. And what a good woman you are to encourage it and not give a 'honey-do' list.
Good Job MaKenna. Piano recitals are always a little stressful. I love the Pay It Forward concept. Thanks for sharing and reminding me about it.
Diana, I love reading your blog. I have recently been labeled the worlds worst blogger. I guess I need to step it up, huh? I miss you guys so much. I showed Alex the clip of Mckenna's piano recital. He didn't remember her until I showed him a picture of Mckay and he remembers that Mckay has Lego Star Wars. Funny what they remember. Take care!
Diana, McKenna is so cute! I love piano recitals, and yes, I think it is worth all the battles to make them practice. Abby played the piano in young women's the second sunday that she was there, (and several times since) it is definitely a very useful talent to have.
And I love all your stories about what a good dad Kent is...he is awesome.
See you tomorrow night!
What a great story! Thanks for sharing and inspiring others to pay it forward (along with the piano teacher's story). It makes me want to do more AND go back to piano lessons, ah one day. :)
It was so great to see you last week and keep up our Xi lunch dates. I really look forward to our chats and appreciate you and all you are. Thanks for sharing your light Diana!
~Heidi
I think you married a GREAT man. That is so great that he takes time to spend some one-on-one with the kids. I award "Father of the Month" to Kent.
McKenna, Meme was so glad that your mommy recorded your piano recital for her blog. I felt so bad that I wasn't there but at least PaPa M&M got to come. You did an awesome job and I am so proud of you. The other night I got to go to Ainsley's ballet performance she did a very good job. I miss you and your family.
Love,
MEME
hey diana. I was talking to Jeremiah edwards on facebook and we got to talking about amy malakouti-dana. have you heard from her at all? Just wondering. I knew she went missing for awhile. Love reading your blog. Seems like you have such a sweet hubby. wished we lived close to hang out.
i am off to bed. night!
Kim
Diana, no I don't think we'll be coming "home" this summer. We're hoping that this will be our last summer here so we are going to spent our vacation time exploring the area and seeing everything out here. We were also hoping that if we didn't make the trip out, our families and friends would miss us and would all come and visit us!!! I can't believe that you got a dog. You'll have to keep me posted on how that turns out. My kids and Jeremy have been wanting one for years but I haven't caved yet.
Post a Comment