Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I Love You Mickey Mouse

Today's my little brother's 30th Birthday. His cute wife sent out a quiz all about him a few days ago, which got me thinking and now "I love you Mickey Mouse" has been on my mind. Perhaps it's because I now have little ones of my own, especially little Monson who is just learning to count or the fact that the kids found a mouse in the window well the other day... regardless of how it came to my mind, it's a favorite memory I have of David. When we were growing up Dave and my mom had a special exchange of "I love yous". I'm not exactly sure on all the details, but this priceless exchange began when Dave 1st started to count. He said, I love you mom. My mom replied: I love you too. Dave said I love you three and my mom said I love you four, up until he couldn't count any higher then he said "I love you Mickey Mouse". They would then go back and forth saying I love you Donald Duck, I love you Goofy, I love you Cinderella, I love you Minnie mouse, on and on through all the Disney Characters.. "I love you Mickey Mouse" has always been a very endearing thing to my mom and the best present she probably ever received from her little boy was the Christmas he was serving his mission and he sent her a Cinderella ornament, with a simple note which read "I love you.... Cinderella" I remember my mom's eyes just tearying up as she thought of her little buddy now a man. As I think back on these memories, I can't help but think of my two little men - Mckay and Monson. They are growing so fast. The other day my sister asked how Monson was doing and joking said that he hadn't been featured in a blog post for a while. So in honor of a Mouse and Monson I will tell you of a very concerned little two year old.
Monday, the kids were playing in the back yard and noticed a dead mouse in the window well. This was very disturbing to Monson. He kept saying in a deep drawn out voice "Mouse Dead, get in my house" over and over again "Mouse Dead, get in my house". I reassured him that it was not in his house and Daddy would take care of it when he got home. I was finally able to distract him. That night as we were reading scriptures it started up again. He was so distrott..."Mouse Dead in my house" He would not let it go. It was consuming his every thought. Kent and I tried not to laugh as he repeated it over and over again, this was serious business. It was now time for bed, but there was no way he was going to bed until that mouse was gone. "Daddy, get mouse in my house. SCARY MOUSE in my house. Daddy, get mouse!" Kent, seeing that if we wanted to get to bed anytime soon, would have to dispose of the mouse rain and all. Monson, carefully watched to make sure the mouse was gone! Dad was the super hero: "Daddy, got Dead Mouse with Bucket in rain." Hooray for Dad! Sweet dreams for the rest of us or so we thought. As we put Monson in bed, we had not heard the end of it, Monson was still very concerned it was now "Mouse Dead in my big garbage". With our options running out we resorted to the power of prayer. Kent said a simple pray and Monson repeated it thanking Heavenly Father that the mouse was gone and that Monson would be safe. It worked until about three in the morning when we hear Monson yell out in his sleep "Mouse". Kent and I just laughed, we could not believe how worked up he was over a mouse. Now if it was alive, I would of been right there with him. At least I can find great satisfactions in knowing he will never ask me for a pet rodent.
This video and the above picture is from our Disneyland trip in May of 2009. I do not think Monson has made the correlation that Mickey Mouse is truly a mouse. Or perhaps he has never liked mice, he looks kind of distressed in the picture and as I recall he wanted nothing to do with Mickey Mouse even as a one year old. Although he does Love it when his Daddy makes him Mickey Mouse Pancakes.

6 comments:

April said...

I too Love Mickey Mouse! I need to be better at reading your blog- you super mom! I get the BEST ideas from you! And a triathalon?- You go girl!!! I hope you guys are doing good- it looks like you are, we miss you! And yes, I did make the rainbow cookie dough. I have a recipe if you want it, but I imagine any sugar cookie dough would work, this one is just a little sweeter. Just color the dough and roll into a log, then add the next color around that, then the next color- you get the idea.

Anonymous said...

I love mickey mouse too. This picture got me thinking about how much fun our lego land trip was maybe you and I should just through caution and the budget to the wind and head for sunny california with the kids for spring break!!!! I know Ryan would love it.

Anonymous said...

My poor sweet little Monson, is he doing o.k. now?
I loved the video
Mom
PS please tell the other children I loved the blogs about them too.

Jenny Kapp said...

That was seriously sweet! Poor little guy!

Anonymous said...

Monson, my man, I can't stand mice either. Isn't it awesome to have a great dad that prays with you. Also remember Joshua 1:9....next time a mouse causes you to be dismayed remember the Lord said "Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whitehersoever thou goest" And there is nothing greater than the knowledge that the the Lord is with thee.

Angela said...

That was the cutest story. I love the funny things kids say. And it's great you blogged it so you can look back on it in the future. I teared up about the Cinderella ornament! So sweet. I hope my boys and I stay close as they grow older!