Sunday, April 3, 2011

Ogden Temple

I received my endowments in the Bountiful Temple. We were married in the Salt Lake Temple. Yet, my heart will forever be endeared to the Ogden Temple! It is my temple. It is here that I have grown spiritually. It is here that my testimony has been strengthen. It is here, where I have better come to understand my divine role and purpose as a wife and mother. It is here that I have gone searching for answers and clarity. It is here that I know Kent has spent countless hours praying for inspiration and direction as a bishop, friend, husband and father. I will truly miss the simple beauty and the 'welcome home' feeling of the Ogden Temple. Friday night the temple closed for extensive remodeling. I already look forward and anxiously await being able to take my family to the rededication. It is exciting to think that when the Ogden Temple reopens McKenna will be old enough to do Baptisms for the Dead. We already promised we'd take her that 1st week it opens. Kent and I had a long standing scheduled date to be in the temple this past Friday April 1st, on the last day it was open. We attended the 2nd to last session, a perfect way to prepare for General Conference. We have an even longer standing date to be at the temple the day it reopens!! It was fun and memorable to be there the night they shut the doors. As we entered into the Celestial room there was a very unique and special feeling. So many of the patrons were lingering longer, taking just one last look, studying every detail, soaking it all in- knowing it would be the last. Yet the beauty was always there. It made me think about life in general. If we knew it was our last day, we would look at every detail, enjoy every sunrise, look at the beauty of the mountains and all that surrounds us, study every detail of our children and spouse. Treasure every last second. Why do we wait until we know it's the end to enjoy what is always there?? Yet, the true beauty of the temple is knowing it is all real and ever lasting. I loved listening to the words of our Dear Prophet - Thomas S. Monson, today during General conference. He said: It is concerning THE TEMPLE I wish to talk to you today...Why are so many willing to give so much, in order to receive the blessings of the temple? Those who understand the eternal blessings, which come from the temple know that no sacrifice is too great, no price is too heavy, no struggle to difficult in order to receive those blessings. There are never too many miles to travel, too many obstacles to overcome, or too much discomfort to endure. They understand that the saving ordinances received in the temple that permit us to someday return to our Heavenly father in an eternal family relationship and to be endowed with blessings and power from on high are worth every sacrifice and every effort...Today most of us, do not have to suffer great hardships in order to attend the temple... If you have been to the temple for yourself and you live in relatively close proximity to a temple- your sacrifice could be finding the time in your busy lives to visit the temple regularly. There is much to be done in our temples... Whatever it is- Qualify to enter the temple of God, secure a temple recommend and regard it as a precious possession, for such it is...Each of our temples is an expression of our testimony that life beyond the grave is as real and as certain as is our life here on earth. I so testify. May we make whatever sacrifice necessary to have the spirit of the temple in our hearts and home."


It is with renewed dedication and encouragement from this great man, that I will keep my personal goal of attending the temple twice a month. There is no room for lame excuses of it taking more time or more miles to travel. Yes, I will miss walking through the doors of the Ogden temple yet look forward to discovering the beauty of all the surrounding temples. I am blessed and thankful to live in such close proximity to so many marvelous temples.

6 comments:

Melissa Cheney said...

Sam and I went one last time on Tuesday morning and there was a very similar feeling--people lingering longer, looking around at details we'd never quite noticed before, etc. I wonder, as you do, why we wait until something is going away to fully appreciate it. Human nature, I suppose.
We also took Alex and Nate to do baptisms on Thursday afternoon. It was Nate's first time and it was magical. I LOVED being there with my boys.
And to wrap up our week focused on the Ogden Temple, we're doing a special family night tonight. We're getting dressed up, going out to the car, then rolling the dice at each stop sign/intersection. Our goal is to make it to the temple; the object lesson will teach the kids that you can't leave something as important as going to the temple to "chance." You have to have a plan and prepare carefully so you can make it to your goal.
I'm just hoping they don't have it closed off yet so we can take a few pictures up close to the temple!
Thx for your insights on the temple!!

The Steffensen's said...

What temple district are you in now? We are in Salt Lake and I am excited since I haven't been to a session there before. You are so fortunate to be able to attend the temple twice a month!

Susan said...

give me a call sometimes when you come to Bountiful! I would love to go with you again!

PS. LOVE the new family picture!

Carrie said...

I have always loved listening to you talk about temples. Your testimony of temples is amazing. I remember in college we were suppose to have a test and you chose to go to a temple session instead of studying the night before. Remember? Our Professor cancelled the test and told us we all deserved one freebee and we all got an A. You stood up after class and said "Yahoo! Temple blessings really do exist.". It was cute.
Miss you. I'll let you know when we visit Utah.

Diana said...

Carrie- I totally forgot about that, until you mentioned the Professor canceling the test, then I totally remember!!! Oh the good old college days of living off a hope and a prayer. We miss you guys.
Kira- I'll watch your kids anytime you want to go to the temple or better yet lets go together. Susie - I will be calling you.

Anonymous said...

Getting ready to take McKenna and Ainsley to the Temple next Friday. This will be the first of the promised Temple trips with two of the grandkids. Dress nice as we will be taking pictures!
Love,
MeMe
MeMa