2 weeks ago
Saturday, December 13, 2008
Good will towards Man
I like nice people and I really like when they are nice to my kids. Thursday morning Maggie was the recipiant of a complete strangers act of kindness. All I know is - her name is Chris. Well let me back up... Chris and Maggie's relationship started months ago from a distance. Every morning after dropping the kids off at school Maggie requests that we go ho
me the "Horsey way" which is straight down 1375 E. We always stop at the bottom, park the car, Mags climbs into my lap and we watch the horses. Maggie has a special name for each one. This has become our special time. Some days we see the caregivers feeding the horses, some days it's just us. Well "Chris" started to notice our white van parked on the side of the road, it all started with a wave. Day after day we would exchange waves, then I thought I better explain our actions and that we weren't stocking her or the horses. So Maggie and I introduced ourselves. Whenever we are lucky to run into Chris and her daughter they come and talk to us. Well on Tuesday she asked if Maggie would like to help feed the horses. Maggie was thrilled!!! However mind you, when I go to drop the kids off to school we are always running out the door in a frenzy, more often than not bare foot with no coats, so we were in no condition to be outside in the freezing weather feeding horses. To Maggie's dismay we had to decline the offer. "Chris" had a better idea, she said "next time we come I will call the night before so you will be already". I gave her our phone number and to my surprised she called. Thursday was the big day. I bundled up the kids and Maggie had the time of her life. "Chris" explained everything to her - showing her the grain, oats, hay, horse shoes, medicine... everything. She carried her up high in her arms, explaining that the horses are scared of little children because they are small just like their predators whom attack their legs, like foxes, coyotees or dogs. But they are not afraid of adults because they are tall and can make eye contact with them. (Even I learned something new.) The best was when a horse (Peek-a-boo) came over and started eating with Maggie right there. Chris was amazed, because that is a major trust issue. The sweetest thing was what she said to Maggie: "That means the horse knows and recognizes your gentle spirit". Maggies face lit up. She truly is so sweet, with an angelic little voice. I am thankful she had a wonderful morning of discovery from a sweet lady who took extra time out of her day to make someone else happy. I love Christmas and the spirit in the air of serving others - Peace on earth -good will towards man. Thank you Chris for sharing your Christmas Cheer!


Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




8 comments:
That is a sweet story. You know I have a soft spot for Maggie and love her happiness! So sweet!
What a great story of Christmas cheer! Maggie is adorable, what a fun thing for her to be able to do! Thanks for sharing...
Maggie, when your mommy was your size she liked to go to her Grandma Nielson's barn and talk to the horses. She also got to feed the horses, that was great fun. Your mom is named after Grandma Nielson's daughter who died 3 monthes before your mommy was born. So I think that you liking horses is in your blood.
I love you Maggie.
MeMe
What a nice lady. She must really wonder what goes on when she's not around because Taylor and I stop at that same place to watch the horses about once a week. The other day she was staring at us. She must have wondered if it was you in a different car!
Ohhhh. So sweet. What a fun lady.
Hey girl! What a sweet story! I missed talking to you at church yesterday. I saw you goin' out to the parking lot, but didn't see your van--thanks for explaining about the loaner vehicle!
Believe it or not, I actually posted on my blog!!! I know--absolute shocker. Go check it out and comment for me. It's going to take a while for people to start visiting/commenting again since I've been such a slacker!
I LOVE nice people too. I believe in the ripple effect. One simple smile can change your day and in return we pass it on to others. I got teared up when you said the "gentle spirit" part. That really is a nice lady and I love when people take extra care to be nice to my kids too.
I know that exact Chris you are talking about. When I was new to South Weber, she was one of the first people to welcome me, (I think I met her at a 1st ward activity). Isn't South Weber the best?
Post a Comment