Friday, December 19, 2008

Whenever Kent is out of town I am notorious for staying up way too late, working on projects, and burning the midnight oil into wee hours of the morn. Tonight, once again is no exception. It's a good thing Kent (the responsible and logical one) is coming home today - my body probably couldn't handle many more all nighters. I know it is crazy, but I get so much accomplished while the kids are sleeping, plus once exhausted it makes falling asleep without Kent so much easier. This trip has been no exception, but in a good way- lots of hours spent in Santa's workshop getting ready for Christmas. One of my favorite, most rewarding, yet most time consuming traditions is the art of letter writing. Both Kent and I write a letter to each of the kids and each other recapping the year. My favorite is writing down the funny things they have said or done, what their likes and dislikes are, their hobbies, friends, activities, etc. Basically it is a highlight of their year and a perfect way to express how much I love them and bare my testimony. As tradition has it, we then read all the letters on Christmas Eve. However last year we had to start spacing them out to accomodate short attention spans. The kids love being in the spotlight and hearing all the different stories about them, many of which have already been long forgetten. Each letter is then tucked away in a binder for safe keeping. I hope they will treasure them. I know I would give anything to have 18 letters of my childhood from my mom. I have the worst memory. It would be so interesting to go back and relive as a kid what I was like and I know McKenna would LOVE to be able to read what I liked/disliked doing when I was eight. Although it is time consuming it is very rewarding. Especially when the letters are finally complete. Yikes, I best get typing only 6 more days until Christmas. So that in a nut shell is one thing I've been up to... -Tonight I'm working on McKays- fresh on my mind is how much McKay LOVES having his Daddy coach - no matter the sport.

Last night was McKay's final game in his 1st season of Jr. Jazz Basketball and you guessed it Dad was coach. In all honesty, before the season started -I was not happy that Kent volunteered. I get tried of being the single parent on the sideline, whether it be at church, on the field, or court. What I really wanted was to have Kent right by my side, watching together. It seems like we are always separated. But I know how much it means to McKay, he LOVES IT and truth be known Kent loves being involved. It is his way of showing McKay that he truly is there for him and he understands that 'To a child love is spelled T-I-M-E'. Kent finally had to explain to me that it was his way of showing and doing something special just for McKay... in his nonexistant spare time, he makes the time for McKay. So, I bucked up, gave Kent my full support and honestly enjoyed the season. McKay was so cute. He is a maniac on the court. He's got the heart, energy and desire - just working on the skill. However if trophies were given to the Most Improved Player I think he would be ranked up there. My heart was just praying he would make a basket last night. I held my breath as it bounced twice off the rim. The best part about Jr. Jazz is everyone goes home with a "W" and a trophy. I love little league. Poor Kent had to miss the last game so after the 2nd to last game we had a little icecream party where these cute pics were taken... We missed you Will:)

4 comments:

Susan said...

I love your letter idea. I started doing that with my kids for each of their birthday's to recap the year but fell short of doing it last year. I know I'll regret not keeping it up. This year I started a letter journal for each of them that I had intended to write in each week. If only our intentions were good enough!

Becky A said...

that team was so cute! Thanks a million to Kent for coaching! and the letter writing thing is a super idea! (made me feel a little guilty, though :))

Heidi said...

Great updates Diana! I also love the letter idea. Lilly's journal doesn't get enough attention so a big boost once a year would be so sweet! Thanks for sharing. Your family looks great and it was great to see you at the shower! :)

Angela said...

That is a great idea to write them a letter. I would just cry the whole time reading them! Do you keep notes the whole year or go from memory? I'm sure Larry is very happy Kent coached. We need more dads like him. I love it when Larry coaches. My boys do to, but now being over the Rec sports he can't. He does coach Hud at Comp. ball though and that is way more time consuming. Have a holly jolly Christmas!