Saturday, March 7, 2009

Beware of Dog - I mean Mom

Dog lovers beware - just go on your merry way - I am not feeling the love today. I don't like the way I am feeling right now -if I had any chocolate I would self medicate but since I don't I am going to vent. (Oh, that is a major run on sentence - but I don't even care I am on a rampage.) I am not a dog lover, I am tried of trying. It is just one more thing to take care of, one more mouth to feed, one more mess to clean up, one more person/dog I have to encourage/take to the bathroom before I can leave the house, one more person/dog I have to divide my attention with, just one more thing I have to do before I can go to bed and forget getting to sleep in even a little bit on Saturday morning. I have had sleepless night for the last eight years and now there is no end in sight. Yes, she is cute and adorable and even likes to snuggle but I already have an adorable baby. To anyone reading this, I would never suggest buying a puppy when you already have a baby. Wait until you need/want that unconditional love. As for me I already had that love with four kids and was not ready to jump on the bandwagon of being a mom of five. I am tried of having to pick and choose which one to love and tend to 1st. This morning at 3:30am they both woke up. I hate feeling torn, of course I want to go comfort Monson, but out of fear of Cinnamon peeing in her kennel I go to her 1st. After multiple nights like this I am sleep deprived and not a happy camper. This is week three and despite my efforts even reading a few dog training books she is not potty trained. Oh the kids all love her, or so they say but it is just five minutes here and there and then they are off to something else and I am the one home all day taking care of her. If I wouldn't go down in the history books as the coldest hearted women in all of existence I would give the dog away today. Is there any hope, am I the only one that has ever felt like this, are there other mom's who endure a dog just for their children sake? Well I do not want to endure any longer - I want my freedom back. A cute puppy should be adored and loved not endured. Kent was out of town all week and if I had seen even a little bit of sparkle in his eye that he had missed Cinnamon then perhaps I would of felt better today. Poor Kent totally regrets buying the dog on impulse, yet he is not sympathetic to my frustrations, the dog has come between us:( KSL is beckoning me. Yikes, I feel like a horrible women. I hate the way I feel. Here are a few classic examples of the newness wearing off and what I am dealing with:
Last Sunday - on our way home from church
McKay: "Mom, as soon as we get home can I play downstairs?"
Mom: "1st play with Cinnamon, she has been in her Kennel for the last 4 hours"
McKay: "Ok, mom set the timer for three minutes."
Mom: "Oh no you don't, It's not worth having a dog if you are only going to play with her for 3 minutes."

This morning (Saturday)
Kenna: "What are we doing today?"
Mom: "Scooping poop"
Kenna: "That doesn't sound exciting."
McKay: "You better get use to it, we are going to be doing it for the next 30 years"
Kenna: "Only 15 years (the average life span of a yorkie)

Well Kenna got one thing right, this will be our one and only dog. Here's hoping we make it that long. To all my children's defense, especially McKenna they do love Cinnamon. Right now Kenna is out walking the dog. I'm counting down the days till Spring when they can all run and play outside. I need to continue praying for a better attitude and look for the good. Thanks for letting me vent - Wish me luck. Hey I got an idea, I've heard of shock therapy to let the demons out perhaps I will try a little PHOTO-THERAPY and post a few pics of how cute she really is - perhaps I will start feeling the love.

Mind you these pics capture only the good not the naughty!

15 comments:

amanda said...

Thank you for this blog entry!!! I am going to have John read it. Maybe he will now understand why I do NOT want to get a dog. Thank you, thank you, thank you :)

ps. I think you have every right to feel this way.

The Ray Reader said...

I could not have said it better of why I DO NOT want a dog. I think I will go make a pack with Jason right now on no impulse dog buying, because he is the softy with the kids.
I am so not a dog lover either at all as long as they are not mine that is good with me.

Anonymous said...

Diana I love you. I would be happy to get up at 3am and love Monson. He can come and spend a few days with aunt sugar. Sorry no love here for the dog. But I'll agree with you he is sooooo cute.

Susan said...

I'm so sorry for your woes! Getting up with a baby you love is tiring enough. You should read Marley and Me. I don't know that it will help with your love of dogs, but you might love yours a little better. We had a dog for 6 weeks when we decided we couldn't take care of it. Chad gave it away without telling me first. I cried all week! I think I felt bad that I was relieved. Fortunately our kids were small enough we just told them the dog had to go back to his real house. Good luck babe!

Anonymous said...

Di, raising a dog takes lots of love and patience. Just like raising kids. It is not easy. I wish you the best of luck. For me and my house I would never dream of life with out a pet. They are so sweet and so willing to give love. But we are pet people and unfortunately for you, you have never been a pet person. I wish you the best and I promise you that if you keep at the potty training it will come. Just like potty training took time with your kids it takes time with your dog. Love ya Tam

Kim said...

Thanks for the post and I feel for you! I grew up with dogs. They are a lot of worth...but on the bright side, she is cute and it won't last forever..then it is really fun and worth it. Hey, I am only trying to be positive. We want a yorkie too, but I think it will have to be when Bree is old enough to say the word.

illegalninjas said...

You know how I feel about having a dog! We sure loved Mocha, but when the time came, what a relief it was not to have a dog again. Give it some more time, then if it doesn't get better, say you tried - and you have tried hard - and move on. Your kids will be sad, but they move on to other things quickly! Good luck!! Call if you need to vent, I am with you all the way!

illegalninjas said...

Sorry - this is Jenny, not Chris. Though he would agree with my comment too!

Jcsamgwallace said...

Thanks for taking the plunge into being a doggy momma first! My kids have been begging for one too (so has Jeremy)and I almost got soft, but then I decided to wait and see how it went with you first. Glad I did!!! Sorry you're having a hard time with it. What do you think about baby #5?

Rob and Amy said...

Hee, Hee, Hee! This is why I love CATS!! To train our cats we took them to the cat box, put them in the cat box, and said "Here's your cat box". Done. I'm sure she'll be a great dog one day - she's very cute. I can't imaging life without pets. They add so much love and they are hysterically funny!

Becky A said...

I agree with Jenny. Give it a little more time (maybe it will be easier in the spring?) but if things don't get better it's time to move on. It's not worth the bad feelings you are having in your home about your life! Your kids will be sad, but seriously, they will get over it, and probably pretty quickly, too. Sleep was the main reason we had to give Shaury's dog back...everyone needs their sleep!

Diana said...

Glad I could help so many of you out with my honesty - and to the other's thanks for your sympathy and encouragement - here's to a better day. Sorry once again to all Dog lovers. Yesterday was better, the kids played with her a ton in their very own constructed doggie hotel (made with all the dining room chairs and a blanket)but last night was the worst one yet - Monson has a cold and everytime he would wake up so would the dog. I too have a cold and need sleep.

Anonymous said...

Are you mad at me because I am laughing my head off at your most recent post!!! I know you did not mean this to be funny but following you through this whole dog experience, I must admit, very entertaining. I know Allie will support your KSL cause whole-heartedly! She told me "I want the dog to still be named Cinnamon, but I don't want her to live at Maggie's house. Generous, huh? No Magice No Money: Coming from someone who didn't discover the truth about Santa until (I'm not going to admit what age) I agree with Trudi! That is also what we did growing up, once the siblings figured it out, they got to BE the toothfairy, etc. Which probably means all five of my siblings did this for me since I was a slowpoke. I heard those bells along time! P.s. I am going to have to send Kelly to your blog. Her boys are constantly begging, but it's posts like this that keep other mom's strong. Aren't you glad YOU got to be the example?!!! - Kira

Collings Family said...

Diana I thought of you all weekend because my sister in law found a puppy on her doorstep and asked if we would take care of it until they found the owner because it upset their dog. We had the puppy for 24 hours and I just about cried (tears of joy) when the owners finally called about it and we could give it back. I kept wondering - how is Diana doing it with four small children? Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

I so love looking at your Blog Diana...You really are a great MOM...so proud of you. I love hearing your stories and seeing pics of your beautiful children...good genes run in your family. Sorry, the dog has you down. We had to give our dog up on Feb 18th....she tried to bite the Foster Care Licensing Worker that came out to reinspect our home. Talk about being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Lily was very protective of the children...and so she went after the ladies foot! It was a really S A D for me...we had no choice but to take her to the HS. But, today God Blessed us. We received a call from the family that adopted her. So we are very thankful she is alive and in a safe home. I know your frustration with having to take care of everything...especially when Kent is out of town...new baby...new dog...not a good recipe. I was fortunate that Rusty was home most of the time by 4pm with the exception of the one year duty assignment at Ft.Knox KY in readiness group....gone various days of every week...no set schedule...it was awful...and I was so thankful when that was over. My boys were a life saver for me. lol flowerpaver1228@yahoo.com Is mom home yet from Panama? The pics you posted of Kendall and Cooper are WOW so beautiful. Dawn and Rusty Bowman