Wednesday, March 4, 2009

No Magic No Money

Not sure if I handled it the best way, but what's a mom suppose to do when the older kids stop believing yet you still have two little ones who deserve all the excitement and Magic of a TOOTH FAIRY? Last night McKenna lost another tooth. She was so excited. I asked if she wanted to put it in her tooth fairy pillow or a glass of water. She requested the water and said I hope the fairy is green. Happy Days - All was well in my mommy heart! Until McKay pipes up "I know the REAL TRUTH about tooth fairies - the moms and dads dye the water a different color, take the tooth and leave the money". He is only six is the magic suppose to be gone so soon?? A little stunned I turned to McKenna and asked what she believed - she said "I don't think tooth fairies are real but I think it is FUN". Don't get me wrong I know kids grow up, I am thankful for both of their honesty and I would never want to lie to them - but I still believe in and want Mommy Magic to exist. S0 I made a tough love decision, it was heart wrenching this morning when my eager Kenna ran into the kitchen only to find her tooth on the counter with no money and a note that read "When you stop Believing the Magic Stops, No Magic No $$". Thankfully she did find some "magical cupcakes" sprinkled with magic dust - if she wants to keep the magic alive for Maggie and Monson then she can eat a cupcake and try again tonight. McKay and Kenna were shocked. Luckily Maggie is clueless of all conversations and events. She slept through it all. Perhaps the tooth fairy did come, she takes care of those who believe! Rather than picking up a tooth she sprinkled 'sleeping fairy dust' on Mags. Innocence is Bliss - Mags slept through everything she still believes and I think the other two have had a change of heart. Looks like our after school snack will be the Magical Cupcakes with big hopes of a visit from the tooth fairy tonight. (Still not certain if I handled it the best, what would you have done? Do you give money per loss tooth regardless. I can't remember what my mom did for me. I was the 4th girl so maybe all my sisters were playing along just to help keep the magic alive for me. Thanks Sistas!)

7 comments:

Jenny Kapp said...

Luckily we have kept all teeth in the mouth as of yet! Hard when the kids get too smart!

Anonymous said...

My best defense is a good offense. When the kids stop believing in the various mystical creatures of our world, I make them the creatures, (i.e., Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, etc.). They love it, and it's become a right of passage for them. The only rule is that they have to keep it a secret, or they lose their magical powers.
So sad to see the loss of innocence, but really, it is kind of nice!
Thanks again for your help today!
-Trudi

Andrea said...

You are one smart momma! The tooth fairy tend to be a little lazy around here- in that it can take a couple of DAYS of the tooth being under the pillow before she finally comes around. lol- But so far Bug hasn't spilled the beans yet- Good thing- since Doodle hasn't lost any teeth yet.

Becky A said...

I think the note was a great idea. We have been doing the colored water thing with Will, and when Phoebe (who is 10) lost a tooth recently, she, too, thought the tooth fairy would come. I have to admit, the fairy was a bit of a slacker and took about a week to get the hint, but saved the day with purple water. I don't know if Phoebe still believes or just WANTS to...

Collings Family said...

Oh boy, that makes me so nervous! I wasn't expecting to deal with the magic being gone until my kids were much older than six! I loved McKenna's response though.

Kim said...

I know...I love how naive children are..the innocence, the trust, the "my mom is superwoman" syndrome...then like overnight they wake up and its just not there. It makes me so sad. Luckily, I am a very good actor/liar...I can spin a story around the truth - even I start believing in the easter bunny and such! :) There will come a day... Great post Diana...and by the way...got a great Happy Birthday call today...awesome!

Heidi said...

Wow, I really liked how you handled that! Somehow I think these little ways of "believing" teach our children to have Faith, and there is a reward when we have the right heart. Good job momma!