Sunday, May 24, 2009

POLLYANNA

McKenna and I read Pollyanna together (yeah 5 AR points) the deal was once we finished the book we would watch the Movie. Friday we had our Pollyanna Party while the boys were off having their male bonding up at the cabin (I'd post pictures but none were taken). While McKenna was gone to Activity Days I had the idea to welcome her home to a fun little surprise tea party, serve ice cream in my China dishes and watch Pollyanna. Spontaneous and simple yet the girls were thrilled. (Typically, I am not a fan of having friends over and just watching a movie, unless it is a late over, but this was an exception, I got permission from their mom if they could join in on the fun - the more the merrier! She agreed there are good life lessons to be learned from Pollyanna:)
The best part of reading Pollyanna with McKenna is encouraging each other to have a "Pollyanna Attitude". Sometimes I don't like being reminded, but it's true there is always something to be GLAD about. Kenna and I have enjoyed playing Pollyanna's "Glad game" and taking the advice she gave to the preacher: "If you are looking for the bad, that is all you will see - look for the good."
McKenna had her 1st experience of truly comparing a book to the movie. She liked the book better. I loved hearing her say 'Wait, that wasn't in the book or no that's not how it happened. ' This weekend she experienced it twice with Pollyanna and The Tale of Despereaux. It's been fun reading the book 1st then watching the movie.
One of Kenna's school assignments was to do a Diorama depicted a scene from a chapter book which she read. She chose to do Pollyanna. She loved the Prism scene.

5 comments:

Kim said...

Such a great post Diana...and thank you for sharing that experience with my girls, they had such a fun time! I love the idea of a Pollyanna attitude. It is a good reminder that there truly is so much goodness to life!

Anonymous said...

Dear Princess Buttercup,
You are my Pollyanna and I love you. Pollyanna is one of my favorite movies, I guess I should read the book. You will have to tell me how the book differs from the movie.

I love you
MeMe Marie

Anonymous said...

Ok, is not Aunt Tammy the best. I told your mom that was a good and that you should read it. If you ever want to know a good book ask the Petersons!!! I think your mom is awesome to have a Pollyanna party. I agree the book is better than the movie. I think it usually is that way. Keep up the reading. It is the best way of traveling.. Love ya Aunt Tammy

Diana said...

Yes - kouddos to Aunt Tammy - it was her book suggestion. Thanks sis! Mom, thanks for always taking the time to express your love to each of the kids through your sweet comments, you were busy tonight - reading my last few post.

The Steffensen's said...

I have never read the book because I had a bad experience with Pollyanna:) Maybe I should give it a try with all these recommendations!