Today was a lucky mom day, spending the morning with this han

dsome and 22 other 1st graders. I always enjoy volunteering in the classroom but today I was an official substitute in McKay's class while his teacher was in the library doing Dibel Testing (nationwide reading test) . Two weeks ago I received a phone call from Mrs. Quarnberg. Thanks to caller I.D. I knew it was his teacher, took a deep breath and said "Hello". Half jokingly, I started the conversation with: "It's kind of scary getting a call from the teacher". Her reply: "Your not going to like what I have to say". My heart sank, 'Oh no- what did McKay do?' She proceeds to ask: "Has anyone else already called you?" My instant thought: "Oh No - other's were involved". I solemnly said "No". She quickly replied "Oh good - I was wondering if you could sub in my class while I individual test each student. " I was relieved and THRILLED all at the same time. I love helping out in the classroom! Why would she think it a horrible favor to ask - truly I was honored she thought to call me. (Now I must apologize for thinking the worst of my son. He is doing a fantastic job in 1st grade. I could not be more pleased.) After discussing all the details I excitedly hung up the phone and told McKay the good news. In all seriousness his exact reply was "
WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT 1ST GRADE?"
Well today I learned a lot: Teacher's are under appreciated and under paid. Keeping 23 kids focused and on task is quite the challenge. Yet I enjoyed tapping into my 1st grade inner self especially during [due to the rain] indoor recess. One of my all time favorite elementary games was Heads UP Seven Up. Although we ran out of time before getting to play many memories, which have been tucked away for years surfaced - like Kick Ball, hopscotch, four square... We did end up having crab races and playing the hokey pokey. But of course only after we completed our journal writing, vocabulary, reading workbooks, read-a-louds, worksheets and a very fun art project of finger painting with Corn Syrup and food coloring. I can not wait to try this at home. The kids loved it. Thanks you Mrs. Quarnberg! She is an amazing teacher whom I totally admire and respect. The kids adore her and the best part is she equally adores them. Well Mr. McKay I hope I knew enough about 1st grade to be able to fill Mrs. Q's place for a few hours, she truly is a remarkable lady. I am happy you have enjoyed 1st grade.
3 comments:
It looked like you were doing a great job today! I had to laugh because anytime I get an email from Mrs. Q. I think the same thing: "What did Clara do?"
I sure hope McKay was able to help with the ins and outs of the complication that is first grade!
I'm so glad that there are people like you - for whom teaching is a superpower. I have many superpowers but teaching is not one of them. If one of my kids teachers asked me to sub I'd have made up an excuse on the spot!!
You're awesome!!
Post a Comment