Friday, April 17, 2009

Party Time

"It's a party back there! If you want to join the party you have to wear your Party hat, everyones wearing one." These were the the reassuring words of one amazing pre-op nurse to one concerned little red headed patient. My hats off to the entire surgical staff at Ogden Regional. Maggie went in for minor surgery to have her ear tube removed. Not a major deal, unless your 4 year old little mind recalls the pain of five previous reconstructive cleft palate repairs. To say the least Maggie was very worried until she arrived at the hospital and was treated like a SUPER STAR. It turned into a major party! What could top lying in bed, with your very own gift horse, remote control in hand, watching cartoons and being douted on by everyone. After the surgery, which Maggie claims she never even fell asleep for, the party continued... Sprite in her very own Hospital mug, graham crackers, popcorn and ice cream. The best part was being able to eat in bed. Too bad it's back to reality today. I am thankful all went well. Let's just say this is one chapter in Maggies great big book of life that I am glad to have over. When Maggie was 4 days old and not eating at all she was diagnosed with a soft cleft palate. We were immediately sent down to Primary's, where we discovered that due to her cleft palate she was unable to form a suction, it would be like trying to suck through a straw with a whole in it. My heart broke when I was told that nursing would be nearly impossible, we were issued special bottles and nipples to assist with her feeding. At 10 months old she underwent her 1st surgery, thereafter for the next year and a half she was in for surgery every three months. Each time she was restricted to a soft food diet for two weeks and had to wear arm splints for three weeks to prevent her from putting anything into her mouth. It is amazing how many times a mommy's heart can break when you see your little one in so much pain. I am so glad yesterday was such a breath of fresh air. Mags loved all the attention. Thank you mom for watching the other kids. We are super lucky to have two amazing grandmas. When my mom found out that Mags surgery wasn't scheduled until 4pm and she could only have clear liquids up until 10am she said "I'll be over at 10am to take her shopping and keep her mind off things." After the surgery Grandma Hyer brought Popsicles over for the family. Here's hoping she is not missing all the fan fair today. We love you Maggie. You deserve all the attention and more you have been through a lot in your little life - I'm just glad it is all behind us now.

10 comments:

Heidi said...

Di, my nephew just went through the same thing on Thursday. What a week! Congrats to you and your girl for the experience. :)

Anonymous said...

Di, you stinker!!! You didn't even tell me that Maggs was having surgery this week!! I'm glad all went well. Tam

Diana said...

Sorry Tam, you're not alone I forgot to tell Myrt as well. In fact I really didn't mention it to anyone - compared to all her previous surgeries this was so minor that I really didn't think about it until that day. However, thanks again for all the amazing get well care packages you sent in the past. I still think the Cinderella one was perfect for her "pretties". I love you!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I guess I will forgive you but will Maggie forgive her dear Aunt Tammy for not sending her a get well package? I'm glad that that part of her life is now over!! She is such a beautiful girl. What a blessing! Love you and your family.

Kim said...

So glad she is doing well...like I said over the phone..it is so amazing to me how quickly kids bounce back form things like this. Amazing! Hope you have a good week and let me know if you need anything!

Becky A said...

She's cute, Diana. I'm glad everything went well. You just take it all in stride, don't you? What a great mom.

Anonymous said...

Di- My Maggs had surgery and I didn't even know. I read the rest of your comments and see that I was not the only one that didn't know but you had better tell my Mags that Aunt Jenn was sad she didn't know and that she is SOOOOOO glad everything went well. I will just have to find something cool to send as an after surgery care package. Tell her I am so happy she is all better now- what a long road to walk and I am so glad she walked it like the princess she is. She is a beauty.

The Steffensen's said...

Dave was looking over my shoulder when I read this and he said "did Maggie have surgery?" I laughed and said "that's the difference between brother's and sister's." I will have to let him know the sister's didn't know either! Glad all went well for Mags!

Diana said...

Looks like I owe apologies to everyone and yes Kira you better tell David that the sisters were clueless as well. I wouldn't want him feeling let out. It feels good to know Maggie is so well loved. Thanks for your wishes.

Anonymous said...

Maggie,
MeMe looked at your pictures and tears came to my eyes. I remember those awful days so well and how concerned your mommy and daddy were. I love you Maggie
MeMe Marie