Monday, April 6, 2009

Not a Spectator Sport

72 hour kit tragedy... I didn't realize it had been so long since I last updated our 72 hour kits. Last year I remember adding stuff for Monson... diapers, formula, bottle, change of clothes but didn't take the time to update or replace anything else. The result - very expired food and way to small of clothing... poor Mags outfit was a onesie and overalls! Let's just say if there had been an emergency last week Monson would of been dressed in pink, McKay and Maggie could of wore Kenna's clothes, Kenna would of been out of luck and we would of all had sick tummys. I once heard a talk given that said 'if your 72 hour kit has a pair of size 4 under ware for your now 16 year old, you need to update.' I remember thinking how silly, but now I completely understand poor Maggie almost five still had diapers packed for her.
I am the biggest tight wad and seeing all this good food go to waste about killed me. Let alone having to buy all new stuff. The picture on the left contains all the expired food and the one on the right is our yummy new stash:
End result I guess it is like paying car or fire insurance - yes you pay a lot out, but you are thankful you never have to use it. But no longer, I am going to make this fun and am determined not to let it ever go to waste again. Lesson learned - I am going to follow my friend, Trudi's advice and make updating our kits a conference tradition. In October all of this food will still be good, so we will have it as our conference snacks - McKay can not wait to get his hands on the beef jerky. What is not consumed over conference weekend I will pack in their school lunches, buying all new stuff for our kits to be anxiously consumed again in April. Wish me luck on my endeavor.
On a happier note, we spent the weekend camped out in our living room and loved every minute of it. Kent and McKay woke up early Saturday morning to set up a tent. Just like the people in King Benjamin's time our family was gathered with the door of our tent opened towards the Prophet. The kids loved it and want to add this to our Conference tradition as well. [I better start a list] The best part was when Elder Stevenson of the Seventy's mentioned this same account of the tent doors being opened to the Temple listening to King Benjamin's final address. The kids about jumped up and down when they made the connection that they were doing that very same thing. Elder Stevenson's talk really touched me. I liked how he encouraged each of us to go on a virtual tour of our homes with our spiritual eyes. He specifically asked, when you open your front door what do you see... then proceeded to go from room to room?? I have always liked my entry way but yesterday I was humbly pleased and found contentment knowing Kent and I had already chose to make Christ the center of our home. I have a renewed dedication to attend the temple more often. My goal is twice a month. When I verbalized this, McKenna said "Mom, that's not that much, Elder Scott goes every week." Kent, just smiled at me -perhaps one day, but for now with my little ones at home twice a month is my goal. As always after listening to General Conference I have a renewed desire to be a better person. I loved President Uchtdorf's expression that "Discipleship is not a Spectators sport". I am committed to live the gospel everyday. I love the words of President Monson "The future is as Bright as our Faith". I want to enjoy a bright future with my family so I best put my faith into action each and every day. These little ones deserve it...

6 comments:

Jenny Kapp said...

Somehow I missed 3 entries in a row! They were fun to read and see all the funnies. The 72 hour kit is a good idea. I am glad you passed on the good advice!

Collings Family said...

I can totally relate Diana! Last time I updated my 72 hr. kit it had size 2 diapers in it, and Carter wears size 6! We would have been in big trouble!

Aleesha said...

I had really good intentions on doing that. Maybe I'll make it a spring break 72 hour kit rotation party. Thanks for the reminder.

I thought of you when Elder Stevenson told us to use our spiritual eyes in our home. You guys definitely have the spirit in your home.

Judy said...

I don't know how you keep up with it all Diana. You do such fun things with you family. I wish I would have had your creativity when mine were growing up. Thanks for sharing your family with us.

Andrea said...

Yah- I went through our 72 hour kits- and pulled the food out- the fruit snacks were rock-hard! lol- I really enjoyed the same talk about the spiritual virtual tour of our homes.

Angela said...

WOw you always go out of your way to be a fun mom. I LOVE the idea of putting up a tent like King Ben. My kids would absolutely pay better attention i'm sure. Poor Parks, on Saturday we were packing to get ready to go on a trip that very afternoon and I couldn't find the Conference packets and he was so let down that he couldn't do it. They really look forward to those. We had to record it so maybe i'll still have a chance to find them, get treats and put up that tent! Narnia Day is barely a month away and I don't feel like anything is ready!!!